Vol. 1 Chapter 2.1 - Convenience store

After the introduction, I headed to the convenience store before I went to my dormitory.

"My, what an unpleasant coincidence." I ran into Horikita once again.

"There's no need to be hostile, did you need to buy something?"

"Yes, just a few necessities." Horikita chose various items of the shelves, but she only took the cheapest options. I suppose it makes sense considering Koenji's deductions earlier.

"Anyways, I am terribly surprised that you stayed for introductions. You certainly didn't seem like the type to hang out with a circle of classmates."

"I decided to participate because I didn't want to attract any trouble, why didn't you introduce yourself? It would have been a great chance to make some friends."

"If I had introduced myself, you could say that it would have been similar to your friend's introduction in that it would have sown discord. Thus I chose to do nothing as to avoid creating anymore problems."

"Friend? Anyways I noticed something strange at this store." I pointed towards the clearance bin, which had been labelled as Free, 3 items per month.

"Free?" Horikita also thought it was strange.

"I suppose there is even more evidence suggesting that Koenji was right, not that I didn't believe him already."

"Hey, shut it! Just wait a sec! I'm looking for it right now!"

A sudden, loud voice drowned out the store's peaceful background music. It was the red-head in the class, with an accompanying ill-tempered face. He had his hands full of noodle cups.

"What's going on here?" I asked.

"Huh? Who are you?"

I had attempted to be as amicable as possible, but he still scowled at me, under the impression that I was an enemy.

"My name is Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, same class as you. I just asked since it sounded like there was some trouble." At my explanation, he appeared to have calmed down a bit.

"Oh yeah, I remember you I just happened to have forgotten my student ID card. The fact that it is used for payment hasn't really sunk in for me yet."

"I can pay for you, it would have to be annoying to go all the way back. I don't mind."

"That's right. Your right. That would be really annoying, thanks dude. The name's Sudou, I guess I owe you one."

"Nice to meet you, Sudou."

After going to the hot water dispenser, Horikita looked at me and sighed.

"I suppose I have to commend your ability to make friends. You also don't seem to be afraid around controversial figures as well. I thought you would have been the non-committal type"

"I suppose you also fall under that controversial figure?"

"I hope that you aren't implying that you are trying to be friends with me right?" Horikita glared at me menacingly.

"Do you want to be friends Horikita?"

"Ayanokouji-kun, are you an idiot?" Horikita sighed.

"I'm going back. I'll be stripped of my dignity if I spend more time here," she said.

After leaving the store, I saw Sudou seated outside, waiting for me. When I saw him, he gently waved me over. I waved in return, feeling somewhat embarrassed, but also quite happy. So is this what friendship is?

Horikita chose to leave as soon as possible, but not before Sudou attempted to call out to her.

"Hey, girl... oi oi!" Horikita did not turn back one bit.

"What is up with that girl, seriously now?" Sudou muttered to himself, while staying at his seat.

"Let's take our mind off her with these noodles."

"Sure thing."

I slurped up some of the noodles. It tasted really good. So good in fact that apparently Sudou was looking at me with interest. It also almost distracted me from the fact that some seniors were glaring at us.

"Looks like you enjoyed the noodles a lot more than I expected!" Sudou laughed, while slapping my back. That hurts.

A normal school life, huh? This is a lot of fun.

Side Note: Sudou didn't end up trying to grab Horikita's collar, so the seniors didn't have the chance to claim "their" seats. This does mean that Ayanokouji doesn't know about being placed in class D being on purpose as well.

I also would like to mention that his reaction is similar to the time when he ate ice cream for the first time in vol 4.5, which Ichinose picked up on.