Vol. 1 Chapter 7.3 - Judgement day

Today was May the 1st, judgement day

Chabashira-sensei strode into the room, holding up a rolled-up poster, with a stern expression on her face.

"Heyyyy sensei, I checked my point balance this morning, but I only got like 28,000 points. Where is my other 82,000 points?" Yamauchi cried out. Did he just? 

A couple other students also attempted to ask questions.

Hirata was looking at me, and I looked at him. We both knew that something went wrong.

"Yamauchi-kun, I've already explained this before. Points are deposited on the 1st of every month. I've confirmed that points were wired this month without any issues.

Yamauchi and Ike both exchanged glances. Some other classmates exchanged glances with each other. And then simultaneously, everyone looked at Koenji. 

It looked like he paid attention to this, but with a large smirk on his face now.

"Are you kids really that dumb?" Sensei made sure to look at both Yamauchi and Ike very clearly before looking forward. She sighed in frustration.

"You lot were this close to have kept most of your class point. Koenji told you all, even Hirata warned you guys right after." Chabashira shouted at the class. How did she know about Hirata, she left the class after the class introduced themselves to each other. I instinctively looked around to the corners of the class. There are small cameras present.

I thought back to sensei, hmm so that's what it is.

"A total of 42 absences and late arrivals. 111 incidences of talking or using a cell phone in class. That is quite a few infractions over one month. I suppose it could have been a whole, whole lot worse. However, in this school, your class' results are reflected in the points that you receive. As a result, you wasted the majority of the 100,000 points that you should have received. That's what happened."

"I should have explained this all to you on the day of the entrance ceremony. This school measures its student's true abilities. This time, you were all evaluated a lot lower than before. That's all. Does anyone have any questions?"

No one did. A pencil rolled on the floor, it was quite loud. She said this in robotic fashion, devoid of any emotion. Or at least that is what it seemed like at first glance.

"Then..." Chabashira rolled out the poster onto the board.

"Are these... the results for each class?" Horikita tentatively took a guess.

Class A: 940 Class Points

Class B: 650 Class Points

Class C: 490 Class Points

Class D: 280 Class Points

"Isn't something about this odd?"

"Yeah. The numbers look too even."

Horikita and I had both noticed something strange.

"In this school, 1 class point is equivalent to 1000 private points to every student in that class for the 1st of every month."

"But, but my 100,000 yen! My 100,000 yen lifestyle! This isn't fair!" Yamauchi cried out in agony.

"Had you lot really expected the school would give every single student here 100,000 points every month with no strings attached?" Sensei chose to address the class instead. "Do you guys understand why you lot were placed in class D? Do you finally understand now?"

"The reason we were placed into class D? Weren't we simply accepted into this school?" 

"Huh? But classes are normally divided up like this, right?"