Vol. 1 Chapter 4.1 - Failed invitation

"At 5PM Japan Standard Time today, we will be holding a student club fair in Gymnasium No. 1. Students interested in joining a club, please gather in Gymnasium No. 1. I repeat, at--"

I decided to go back to the classroom, expecting that Horikita would have been there, and sure enough she is there. She appeared to have finished her lunch. Hopefully she would accept my answer to go to the club fair.

"Hey Horikita-"

"I'm not interested in going to any club, nor am I interested in being your friend."

"I didn't even ask you anything yet."

"Well, what is it?"

"Are you interested in joining a club?"

"Ayanokouji-kun, do you have dementia or are you just an idiot? Didn't I just tell you that I am not interested? Well at least you didn't ask about being a friend this time. I already had to deal with one nuisance asking me to be my friend."

She really did seem annoyed whenever I tried to talk to her.

"Well, are you interested in joining a club?" she asked.

"Oh, I'm not sure, I guess. I am still thinking about it. Probably not, though."

"You don't plan to join a club, but you want to go to the club fair? How odd. Do you plan to use this as a pretext for talking to people and making friends?"

How could she possibly be so sharp? No, I was probably easy to read---! In one quick motion, Horikita karate-chopped me in the side. I coughed after being struck, unable to believe that a girl could hit so hard.

"What was that for?!" I cried out.

"I had to retract that statement earlier. You were trying to make friends with me. Clearly you haven't been listening to my requests. Rehabilitation by violence is the only way."

Making friends with Horikita seems to be impossible, even with my best efforts. I guess I will go alone for now anyways.