Vol. 1 Chapter 12.5 - Exam results

Another day has passed. Meaning that today will be the day our exam results will be revealed.

In the gym in the early morning, me, Albert and Sudou were working out like usual. Today, I noticed that Albert was not quite what he usually is like. But that is natural considering what happened yesterday.

"Hey Albert, are you okay?" I said.

Albert gave a head nod in response.

It didn't look like he wanted to talk about it. I debated inside whether I should address the issue now, or let himself talk first about the issue.

"Are the rumors about class C really true?" I asked.

Sudou noticed that me and Albert weren't working out and came to investigate.

"Yo, what's up?"

"Albert seems to be troubled so I asked if he was okay. Haven't you heard about the rumors about class C?" I asked.

Albert was listening in on this conversation.

"Yeah, I've heard. But surely Albert should be able to man-handle the likes of Ryuuen. I bet I could deck his face in as well, ahahah!" Sudou laughed while slapping Albert's back in a friendly gesture.

Sudou isn't incorrect about what he said. The difference in weight class between even the likes of Albert and Sudou was huge, and was even greater with Ryuuen and Albert. 

And yet, Albert looked down upon hearing this.

I'd rather not reveal the fact that I saw Albert fight against Ryuuen yesterday, as that might be considered embarrassing or humiliating. But something felt off by doing so.

I wondered what a true friend would do in this situation. I would imagine they would act like Hirata, and come in defense even if it was a losing battle.

I thought back to that saying. 

"If you don't have the power to help, it's fine to run away or ignore the pleas for help. However, if you do have the power and choose to not use it, you would simply be a fool." Is what that old man said.

This situation appears to reflect what happened with Hirata and his friend, the more I think about it.

Sugimura was the friend and he had bullies in his own class. And Hirata was the bystander.

Albert is the friend and Ryuuen is the bully in his own class. And I am the bystander.

Except, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to help. I don't have that power. Or at least there aren't ways which wouldn't cause notable negative consequences to others due to Ryuuen's threat.

Both Ryuuen's defense and offense is impressive. And I am not talking about his physical abilities, but his ability to understand what the class wants, how the school works and how to exploit the two things to his own benefit. He exploited an unintentional loophole in the system and now has his own class in a stranglehold.

To think you don't even need to be the strongest in the room physically to control the room through violence. It is the ability to use the act of violence in the first place, rather than the actual fighting skills which is important. That is an important lesson that I have learnt.

...

...

... ... ...

And yet, to think Ryuuen is in class C. I still don't get how Hirata is in class D. My suspicions for Hirata is ever growing.