8

Chapter 8 - The Prince Protects

“Argh!”

One of the mercenaries was knocked down by a sudden rain of arrows.

No, it wasn’t over yet.

“Leader! Avoid it!”

“Gerard…”

Whoosh! Tak! Takk!

He couldn’t even hear his own voice properly because he was yelling for the arrows pouring from among the trees.

However, there were less victims among mercenaries than expected.

“I lived thanks to the shield.”

“If the prince hadn’t warned…”

The fallen were only those who ignored Ian’s words or could not lift the shield because their shield was beyond reach.

Still, most of the mercenaries looked safe.

‘That’s a relief.’

At the sight, Ian brushed his chest.

In the past, more than half of the mercenaries died at this time.

It wasn’t just because of the sudden surprise attack late at night.

‘Excessive marching caused them to lose their stamina and they couldn’t even respond properly.’

At that time, there was no conflict with Centurion.

But he was rushed on schedule thanks to Galon and Nathan’s willingness to get the job done quickly. In the end, the exhausted mercenaries had no choice but to be helpless by their order.

Besides, the scent of the fruit that Ian just smelled.

‘Clearly, the scent of poison used by assassins. It’s also obviously paralyzing poison.’

It was a familiar scent that Ian knew.

But no matter how he thought about it, it was strange.

‘Did bandits also use poison? Besides, with a normal army of this size, they would have avoided it.’

In the past and the present, this raid was a little strange.

Later, the Duke announced that it was a raid instigated by bandits, but the said bandits dared rush at them fearlessly.

Even though there were as many as two knights in the party.

‘There’s also the Duke’s knight who is equal to a one-man army present at the scene.’

The Duke’s Five Knights were famous on the continent. In particular, Galon who was called the Three Great Knights of the Continent.