43

Chapter 43 - Who Becomes What?

Fiosen flinched at Ian’s request.

He had no choice but to do so.

“Sir Fiosen, I’d like to take you as my squire.”

“!”

Fiosen was visibly perplexed.

He had been feeling that way since Ian sent a provocative letter stating “I have information that could destroy Lavaltor,” but it was a more absurd request than he expected. In the first place, there was no nobleman who ever thought of making the successor of a duke a soldier.

But that wasn’t the most surprising reason.

‘It’s just as Father said.’

Fiosen turned his eyes and looked at Duke Lavaltor.

In fact, it was because of what Duke Lavaltor said before Ian came.

‘He’ll probably ask for me.’

Duke Lavaltor had precisely predicted that Ian would ask to take the heir of the duke, whom others were reluctant to do.

The only difference from the Duke’s prediction was…

“Did you say a squire?”

“Yes. It is as you heard. Or would Duke Lavaltor prefer to be my knight? It would not be a bad condition.”

Lavaltor burst into laughter for the first time.

What Ian proposed was the lowest-ranking knight among the knights.

In other words, in Kaistein, it meant reserve knights who did not receive a title, and they served their lords by doing all sorts of menial tasks like a servant.

Hence Duke Lavaltor sneered.

‘This little boy. You want my son to do odd jobs?’

And Fiosen, who thought Ian would ask for his sister’s hand in marriage in place of the Second Prince, said in a panic.

He had a lot to say, but that wasn’t important now.

“Well, Your Highness, please think again. There are many other knights besides me. Even if they are not as good as my father, in the First Knight Order…”

But Ian smiled instead of answering.

‘It would be an even more absurd request to ask to be the fiancé of Duke Lavaltor’s daughter in place of the Second Prince.’

There was no way Lavaltor would listen. In the first place, Ian didn’t want to choose his partner here.

In addition, he had his own reason for choosing Fiosen.

‘Fiosen will be greater than Duke Lavaltor in the future.’