Mr. Heart Of Stone

𝐀𝐕𝐎𝐈𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐉𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐎 much harder than I thought it would be

I asked Luke to let me skip my shifts so that I don't have to see him, but I miss working at the diner so much.
I've been trying not to have breakfast there either, nonetheless, my mother forces me to at least walk her and stand outside while she eats.

I'm currently walking across the town square, trying to decide if I should go in or stay outside again.
"What're you gonna do today?" my mom wonders.

"I'm gonna go in" I answer confidently "I need the best coffee today, I've got that debate competition at Chilton" I justify my choice.

"Alright," she nods hiding a smile.

"Good morning, Liv, I see we're gathering up some courage" Luke greets us wiping the crumbs off a table.

"I just need the best coffee in town for my debate competition today" I explain sitting down.

"I have some stuff I need to take care of, so Jess will...take your order" he hesitates near the end of the sentence.

"Fine by me" I shrug. It's not fine by me, I'm actually dying inside at the thought of seeing him.

As soon as he steps into the dining room and he sees me he freezes for fractions of a second.
Then he walks up to our table and takes a deep calming breath.

"Hi" he greets us, I actually think that was aimed at me.

"Hi," I reply embarrassedly.

"One cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin" my mom orders.

"Make that two, except I'm gonna have pancakes" I smile politely.

"With...maple syrup, right?" he tries to guess my order.

"Yeah..." I nod, again, so embarrassing.

"So at what hour is it?" she tries to distract me as Jess walks away.

"What is?" I tell her confused.

"The Chilton debate..." she reminds me.

"Oh, yeah, it starts at three thirty" I reply.

"And what's your plan?" she asks, knowing I like to plan out everything before big events.

"I'm gonna recheck my WPM, since I know Paris wants me to, as soon as we get home and I'll practice for half an hour. Then I'll check if every single thing for school's ready, and head to the bus. I'll go to class and everything, and practice again with Rory and Paris" I go through my day as I imagine it.