Whipped, Whipped Like Cream

"𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐋𝐔𝐊𝐄, 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐊𝐒 for the care package you sent home" my mom smiles gratefully at him

We're sitting in front of the counter taking sips of our coffees, when he turns around with a frown on his face.

"What?" Luke replies confused.

"You sent a care package last Saturday, full of burgers and fries etcetera..." I try to remind him.

"No, I didn't..."

"Hey, Luke, I think they hit the waterline again" Jess walks in with the second book of the Harry Potter saga in his hands.
During this week I finished 'The Old Man and The Sea' so he lent me another book and I lent him 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'.

"Oh, my God! You're dead Tom! Did you hear me? Dead!" he shouts stomping aggressively upstairs.

"Hey," he greets me leaving the book on the counter.

"Hey, you wanna know something interesting?"

"I'm all ears."

"Luke didn't know a thing about the care package..."

"You're here to pay, right?"

"That proves my hypothesis, you used it to come over!"

"Two coffees and a doughnut...that'll be six dollars and fifty cents."

"Admit it!"

"Cash or card?"

"You're squirming, I've never seen you squirming... it's entertaining."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah." I smile as he raises his eyebrows at me "Anyways, here's the money."

"Thank you very much, come back soon!"

I stand near the door waiting for my mom to finish her conversation with Babette, in the meanwhile the diner's phone starts ringing and Luke comes down running.

"What? That can't be." he says looking saddened "I can't believe it...well, don't worry I'll take care of it all." he says nodding with sureness.

A few minutes pass and he hangs up "My uncle died" he says still incredulous.

"Oh my God, Luke, I'm so sorry" my mother runs behind the counter to hug him.

"The thing is I'll have to take care of his funeral and everything, I can't work at the diner and do this all at once!"