The Ice Cream Got Bitter

𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑

𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑. A weird, weird tradition that the Gilmore girls have stuck to these past two years.
And today it's our very turn to take part in it because Emily and Richard invited us over for a Friday night dinner with Rory and Lor a few days ago.

I guess my grandparents are invited too...and that's just what I need these past few days.
Work has been...work. It's not fun anymore, I don't enjoy working as much as I did before and I honestly can't remember how I used to enjoy it before Jess's arrival.

Jess has been...Jess. I'm not seeing him around a lot but that's just because he moved all his shifts, meaning that when I work the evening shift he works the afternoon one and vice-versa.
He's still hanging out with the blonde girl, but as I already said I'm not seeing them around that much so...that's definitely helping.

"Good evening, Emily! Your house is as beautiful as always" Mom compliments Emily as soon as we're welcomed in the living room.

"Kiss ass..." Susan whispers in my ear and I turn in her direction to smile at her.

"Thank you, Amber, it's nice to hear it sometimes..." she says kinda snapping at Lorelai, who just frowns and tries to ignore that.
"So, I assume Odette and Romaric will be here shortly...why don't we stay here for a little bit?"

"Yeah, that sounds great!" I say sitting next to Rory.

"So, Olive...how's school? Are you ready to come back?" Emily asks politely.

"Not really, this is our last year and I can't think of me being independent in college without getting scared."

"I'm sure you'll do great! And what about your friends? I know Rory has been seeing someone for a very long time now...what about you? Any exciting news?"

"Not really..."

"Well, that's a shame! You're such a pretty girl, any boy would line up for you!"

"Yeah, tell Jess that..." Rory mumbles and I hit her with my elbow, what made her think that was an appropriate thing to say?

"What? Who's Jess?" Emily asks frowning at us.

"Just my boss's nephew" I reply trying to make it seem like not that big a deal.

"And what does he have to do with anything?"

"Nothing, Rory was just kidding..." Lorelai tries to save the situation

Finally, my grandparents arrive and the doorbell rings.
"Oh! That must be Odette and Romaric, I'll go greet them" Emily gets up from her seat.