Should've Stayed Quiet

"𝐈𝐓 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓, guys, all of it," I compliment Lane and the rest of the guys in her band "Didn't it?" I ask Jess

He's been sitting beside me, listening to them playing for the last hour and a half.

"Not too shabby," he agrees with me.

"We are so ready for this gig," Dave states, trying to hype the others up.

"We've got a gig, I just love the sound of that!" Lane exclaims in excitement.

"Where is it?" Jess asks, I love that he's interested in Lane's band a bit.

"Kyle, from school, his parents are going to a marriage encounter for the weekend so he's throwing this mondo party."

"Got enough songs?"

"We got enough for two and a half hour sets, what we need's a name..." Dave replies.

"I've made my suggestion," Brian claims proudly.

"Yeah, and we vetoed 'The Harry Potters', next!" Zack snaps.

"You and Brian could get along," Jess whispers.

"Shut up, Harry Potter is cool, and you love it," I reply.

"So yours is better?" Brian asks Zack offended.

"Follow them to the edge of the desert is memorable and classy!" Zack defends his suggestion.

"I run out of breath just by saying it."

"You've got asthma! You run out of breath just by saying your name!"

"He's right, bro, we can't work our band name around your respiratory illness..." Dave admits.

"Even without my inhaler that name is too long!" Brian counters.

I look at Jess amused, and he grins back at me.

"Do you guys have any suggestions?" Dave asks us.

"Oh," I say "I'm not good with names, I named a sock-puppet in a puppet show Mrs. Socky."

"Uh, me neither..." Jess shakes his head.

"Hey, Lane, how are you gonna play at a party like this with your mom being so strict?" Brian asks her.

"Easy! Olive and Jess are gonna deliver my drums to Kyle's house and then Young Chui is gonna come and pick me up and take me to a fictional Seventh-day Adventist bowling party that will conveniently last the length of our gig."

"Nice going..." Zack admits.

"Thank you!"

Jess and I share a glance, meaning that Jess wants to go. "We'll see you guys there, okay?" I say.

"Yeah, see ya," Jess says goodbye with me.

They all wave at us and say goodbye and then we get out of the Gilmores' garage and walk off as quickly as we can.