Pencil Talk

"𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐘 𝐊𝐄𝐘𝐒, don't lose them, and remember to always check what Susan's doing" she reminds me

"Yes, I know, what time am I supposed to pick her up from her friend's house?"

Before they leave, my mum and my grandma will drop Sue at her friend's house, so I can have time for my work shift.

"I think by five in the afternoon might work...pick her up by then."

"Alright, I'mma head off to work."

"Bye!!" she kisses me goodbye on the cheek.

The diner looks really empty, it's like something's keeping me away from actually enjoying this day.
First I have to babysit my sister during a weekend day, then I can't even feel the being busy I usually feel at work.

"Hey, you look grumpy" Lorelai greets me holding a giant fuming cup of coffee.

"It's your fault, I'll have to babysit Susan on a Saturday night..."

"Right! I'm sorry, I just can't spend a weekend with my mother..."

"Is Rory doing something? Maybe she could come over!"

"I'm sorry honey, she's planning on doing something hermit-y tonight...ordering Indian food and having a laundry night."

"Damn it..."

"I'm so sorry honey..."

"Yeah...don't worry about it, I could use some time to catch up on my reading"

"Alright! Have fun!" she pats my head while walking away.

I enter in the back and grab my apron from the coat hanger, and while I tie it Jess arrives with a wide smile.

"Hey, how you doing?"

"Never been worse."

"What? Why?"

"I'm sick of having a sister, I have to babysit her tonight."

"Really? Jeez, I'm sorry..."

"Me too, and as if it's not enough the diner is really empty today..."

"Aren't you happy you aren't doing anything?"

"I come here and do my shifts to be paid, yes, but I like feeling overloaded by all the work."

"You're a creep..."