Making a plan

Charles swallowed away the lump in his throat, today was the day he would for the first time ever would have to come out in a work situation.

Him and Max had talks with some people around them after everything that happened in the last couple of months. What kind of options they had.

Max's dad had flown out to Switzerland as soon as he had spoken to Max on the phone.
They had just been watching some Netflix after breakfast as Jos had video called Max to check in on him, something he did almost daily after Max had broken down. And as Max had texted him on Sunday evening to talk on Monday he was quick to do so.

'You look different?' Jos had offers his eyebrows raised.
'Different how?' Max had questioned not being able to hide the smile on his lips
'Different happy?!' Jos stated max could only grin at that. ' I am dad!'
Jos's eyes then widened. 'Does that mean?'
'Yes!' Max beemed at his telephone as he lowered his phone in a angle that Jos could see the monegasque curled up against Max chest draped under his arm.
'Oh Max-Charles I'm honestly so happy for you!' He smiled before his face fell a little. 'But what happened' Max had sighed before he told their story in short.
'Someone Blackmailed Charles...with a video of me' His father had turned furious. A man who was ready to fight. Though he knew he couldn't but that didn't mean he didn't want to bring that man down.

Jos had arrived with Max's manager and Christian and someone from Redbulls legal department. Christian had convinced the couple that the legal employee could be trusted and she was there at their best interest.

As they told their full story to the group , Monica from legal had asked Charles to tell them exactly what was on the video. He had felt so uncomfortable. He looked across at Christian and Jos before he looked at Max as he felt unsure to talk about their sexual escapades with his boyfriend's boss and dad in the room. Max in return grabbed his hand and told him it was okay, that they had to to get trough this and it definitely wasn't worse then that video getting out so eventually he had told them everything.

In the end they had made a plan. But they needed to get Mattia involved as they couldn't do it without the head of Ferrari. Also they needed the police.
This scared the couple as they didn't want to tell more people then necessary. But Christian had Monica had promised they would only work with someone who had worked with the team before.

At the end they shook hands as Charles uncomfortably wiped his hand on his jeans as Jos hugged his son as he whispered against his ear 'it will be alright son, this will work' as his eyes fell on the monegasque. '

Charles, Charles come here?' Charles awkwardly approached as Jos threw his arm also around him. 'It will be okay!' And strangely enough for the first time in months Charles finally believed that maybe it would.

It was now 3 days later and Charles was now walking towards his boss's office, he took one last deep breathe before he knocked on the door. 'Come in' he heard from the other side of the door.
Mattia smiled as he saw the monegasque 'ciao Charles, what can I do for you?' But started frowning as he take a second look at his driver. 'Are you okay?'
As he motioned for him to sit down. Charles just nodded as he did.

'So uhm.. Mattia I-I need to tell you something' he stuttered out.
Mattia raised one eyebrow 'your not leaving us are you?!' He asked as he crossed his arms.
Charles eyes widened at the question 'Oh god no! Of course not! Ferrari is my team as long as you still want me!' He was quick to tell his teamboss, the last bit unsure as he still had the fear this might lose him his job.
'Then tell me Charles, what is it?' As he looked over the brim of his glasses.
'I-well- I think I need to tell you, well- you should probably know that- that - that I'm gay' he said as he was picking the skin around his nails and didn't look up until he heard his teamboss moving.

Mattia took off his glasses and layed them down on his desk. 'Well I did not see that coming, but I guess thank you for telling me?' he said as he reached his hand out over the table. 'But there is more to it, isn't it? Otherwise I guess we wouldn't have this conversation?'

'Yeah there is...' he sighed 'I- I need your help'
'Why? What happened ?' Mattia raised his eyebrows questioning again.
'I'm being blackmailed, it- it's a video of me and Ma- my boyfriend.'he filmed us from our bedroom window' the Italian looked at him quizzingly until his eyes widened as he realised what the monegasque was referring to.
'O mamma Mia Charles!' He said. 'But as much as I want to help, what can I do for you?'
Charles took another deep breathe 'because the blackmailer works for Ferrari' he breathed out.
'Who' the Italian narrowed his eyes.
'Mateo'
'Well now it starts to make sense why you so desperately wanted me to promote him' the Italian said as he scratched his curls.

He had filled in his teamboss on everything, well almost everything. As he had left a max out of the equation.

Charles had been glad that his boss hadn't reacted badly at his coming out, only slightly surprised. Though later in their conversation Mattia admitted that he had never seen him with a girlfriend or a girl since he joined f1, though he had always believed Charles when he said he was more interested in racing and wanted to commit himself to Ferrari. It was easy to believe seeing the monegasque's work ethic.

Of course it wasn't the  loving reaction Max had received from his teamboss but this was already so much more then he could have wished for.

As they discussed everything and went to leave Mattia put a arm around his driver. 'Maybe we can have dinner some time? You can bring your boyfriend, I'd like to meet him if you already have been together for so long!'
At that Charles had to swallow the lump in his throat as he had tried to keep this part a secret.
'Does he like racing too? He must at least a little given your career!' The Italian asked as he went to grab something from his desk.

Charles scratched his neck awkwardly. 'Yeah... he likes racing...'

'How rude of me , I didn't even ask his name!' He smiled as he looked up from his desk again.

'His- his name is Max' Charles told him as it was no use talking around it.
'Oh that's nice! What does he do?'
'He drives...'
'What does he dri- is he a race car driver?'
'Well Uhm - yeah it-it's Max' he said feeling the heat rise to his ears.
'Max?! Like Verstappen? Max Verstappen?' The Italian teamboss asked perplexed.
'Well , Uhm, yeah.....' the monegasque nodded

'Mamma Mia, I was surprised about you, but about him even more...' the Italian said as he looked up at Charles. 'But even more you are together, and for so long? After Austria I thought you hated each other?'

Charles chuckled at his teamboss 'well that night I did' Mattia couldn't help but smile at that.
'Well you sure know how to hide it!' He chimmed in.
'Yeah until then we did...' Charles sighed
Mattia approached him again and gave him a side hug. 'Hey , it will be alright!' He smiled at him.
'Thank you Mattia, that means a lot' he gave him a faint smile.