I want to stop pretending

After floating on to many shoulders, clapping hands with everyone in his way, drinks shoved in his hands. A hundred renditions of "we are the champions" later Max has a chance for a brief moment for himself, walking in his motorhome going for a quick shower. He definitely needed a shower.

Before he strips out of his clothes he takes a quick glance on his phone. "Maxy you are a fucking world champion! I'm so proud of you! Have fun celebrating tonight. I love you! X"
With a smile he puts down his phone, he's got the two things so important to him. He managed to become formula one world champion and he has his love.

He turns on the water and steps under the spray when it's warm enough. For the first time today he enjoys the silence. Only the sound of water hitting the tiles on the floor. He once again closes his eyes, reliving the special moments of the last hours. A stupidly wide grin on his face as he remembers crossing the line, his team screaming in his ears. The celebrations. His special moment with his father. It was perfect... almost.. as his face faltered and Max opens his eyes again "Charles"
He was so happy, he really was, but there was one person he wanted to share this moment with.

He rinsed his hair quickly and stepped out of the shower. Towel on his waist with droplets from his wet hair still dropping down on his torso as he tries to call the monegasque, though after a while it goes to his voicemail. Max sighes, he will try later as he hears a knocking on his door.
"Max, maat ben je zover? It's time to partyyyyy" (Max, mate are you ready? It's time to partyyyyy) he hears Martijn from the other side of the door. He was probably done with his dj-set and like he always said, if Max would become world champion they would celebrate. He let's him in while he gets ready before they head out the door.

————————————-

As Charles walks back with Andrea towards the hotel since it wasn't that far and as they obviously came with Max and Brand in the van this morning. They didn't have a car now. Also after the last debrief of the season they both appreciated the fresh night air. They talked about everything and nothing , about their hopes for 2022 with the new regulations. Family, when suddenly Andrea asked him.
"Don't you find it hard?" The Italian asked him. The monegasque stopped walking to look at his trainer. "What do you mean?" Not sure about the sudden question.
"The hiding? ... not getting to celebrate together?" Hè asked simpathicly as Charles face faltered a little. He sighed as he put his hands in his pockets while they started walking again, kicking his feet in front of him.
"Of course it's hard.... It's not like...I like to hide it. But you've seen what happened with Mateo..." as he took another deep breathe.
"It's just better like this , for the both of us... we decided on that a long time ago. It's our sacrifice to be where we are in this sport" he said as he kept on walking.

"Don't you think think you're to cautious?" Andrea asked carefully not wanting to overstep in the situation as the monegasque just shrugged his shoulders.
"Don't you want to celebrate together?" He the tried and Charles snorted.
"Of course, what do you think?" Charles now looked at him with his eyebrows raised.
"Then why don't you?" Andrea challenged him back.
"Didn't I just make that obvious?" He asks his trainer.
"I'm not saying you should do a heavy make out session in public Charles" Andrea jokes "but would it hurt if the public thinks you are friends?" As he turns serious again.
"His friends got to hug him you know... Carlos, Lando, Daniel..." Charles had seen the pictures, ofcourse he would've loved a photo like Lando had posted on his Instagram, but he kept reminding himself that they did this for them and to protect this thing between them so dearly so Charles just shrugged again as they where now walking in the hallway of the hotel. "I don't know"
As Andrea just smiled at him squeezing his shoulder. "Just think about okay?" When he got a nod from Charles he added. "But now, go shower and get ready, because it's the end of the season party!" And so that's what Charles did.