Chapter 52

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

It has passed almost three weeks since Pearl has been stuck with Venus. By now, the major family must be thinking that she was probably gone forever. She hasn't messaged them nor called them for any updates. Did Kai forget about her, or did she truly believe that Pearl was still with her grandparents?

Pearl had no clue, but she was starting to get impatient with these handcuffs around her wrists that didn't allow her to leave these four corners of the bedroom. She was mentally exhausted. She wasn't living like a human being, but instead, like a caged animal with no escape.

She got out of bed and walked to the bathroom like every morning routine and took a quick shower. Then, she wore the same grey strapless dress that Venus lent her. She has been washing it constantly since that was the only clothing she has been wearing these days.

When Pearl finished in the bathroom, she noticed that Venus had left her the breakfast plate on the floor like she usually did. It was a simple breakfast of fried sausages, eggs, and a toast. She didn't waste any time and ate it almost immediately. Pearl got used to the food and didn't complain about it anymore.

As Pearl ate her breakfast, she pondered about these two mafia families that have countless of mysteries that she still hasn't found out about yet. What was the difference between them if all they seek for is power and recognition?

Well, the answer is simple. The difference between the major and the minor family is no other thing than the word: "Home".

The major family is full of high expectations and they have a stronghold. However, at least all the family members respected each other even though they tend to be a little distant sometimes. There were still controversies, but they managed to grow and have the most power. The leader of the major clan nurtured his family the best way he could with love and kindness, making their home as strong as a large tree.

On the other hand, the minor family is like burning flames. Everyone is separated and they need to heal and teach themselves on their own. It's just like a flower that is running out of water and is starting to wither. Despite of the love that the two siblings have towards each other, it still wasn't enough to make the home bloom properly.

Pearl has been learning a lot about Venus these past few days, and she could tell that there were many cracks and holes that needed to be repaired inside of Venus' heart. If Venus was this broken, she didn't want to imagine how her younger brother, Michael must feel like at such a young age. He's only a teenager. He'll probably have to go through the same abuse that his sister went through at his age, and Venus doesn't want that. That's why she always defends Michael when her father insults him. She doesn't want Michael to suffer too.

When Pearl finished her food she went to brush her teeth with the toothbrush that Venus had also lent her. After doing that, she laid back in bed, not knowing what else to do. She gazed up to the ceiling until her vision darkened and she fell into another slumber.

A few hours later, she woke up again and realized that it was already late in the afternoon. She sat up and also spotted Venus sitting at the edge of the bed. What was she doing here, and why was she so dramatically silent?

Pearl couldn't see Venus' face because she was facing her back, but she couldn't help but to get a little worried. Could it be that the leader of the minor family came back to punish her again?

"Venus, are you okay?" Pearl uttered in a soft tone of voice as she crawled over to sit next to the other. That's when she realized what was going on.

In Venus hands, there was something. The hedgehog. She was holding the small hedgehog with both of her palms, not taking her eyes away from it as if she was examining the creature with full attention. The hedgehog didn't move, it was only breathing abnormally. He appeared to be in a bad condition, maybe he was ill.