The Hitman Show

Ind vs Ban, 2nd odi

"I'll go down next", announced Rohit as he licked his chapped lips.

Everyone in the dressing room turned to look at him in surprise.
The match had indeed almost slipped out of their grasp and they couldn't let go of the hollow feelings that stirred in their hearts.

"but bhaiya you just got back from hospital", Shreyas voiced out in concern.

"Sundar go down and inform Rahul bhai about the change in order", he spoke ignoring all the protests about his health.

Sundar looked at Virat and reluctantly headed out when he nodded.

Rohit clearly seemed to be struggling with the pads. Virat sat down and fastened his pads without saying anything.

"what about the gloves?", he asked quietly looking at his hand in concern.

"let's cut them"

Virat only patted his back and sincerely muttered, "do well". The entire dressing room chorused together the same.
Rohit nodded in determination as he walked out to sit in the dugout.

Virat sighed as he prayed to God to not aggravate Rohit's injury. He could not ask Rohit to sit back and watch it all fall in front of their eyes, it was not acceptable.
He had done it multiple times, walking on the field with an injury and he knew Rohit was going to do the same thing.

Play for his country.

Everyone passed each other worried looks, Rohit was continuously wincing in pain but he was the captain and he had taken the responsibility to complete.

Even though it hurt but his brain seemed to register nothing except the scoreboard. Adrenaline coursed through his body- he would worry about his injury later.

As Shardul's wicket fell, Rohit took a deep breath and stood up to walk out.
Rahul bhai blinked his eyes in assurance at him voicing a silent message to take care.

Shakib beats Thakur with some sharp turns and look who's come in!! Skipper Rohit Sharma has joined Chahar in the middle. Clearly isn't fit enough but the situation demands him to fight it out and here he is.
And the first ball he faces-- hits him straight on the glove.

Virat shot up in his place in anxiousness. Of course the opposite team would try to catch his weakness and today it was his thumb.
He gripped the railing tightly as he watched Rohit close his eyes as pain shot through his hand.

"he's going to be okay", he patted Rishabh's head who chewed his nails. He didn't know who was he really trying to comfort.

Rohit is batting! He’s come in at no.9 and doesn’t look comfortable due to his finger injury. India still needs 61 runs off 36 balls.

Rohit took a deep breath yet again, okay the target was not unapproachable if he played with strategy and hit some big shots they could very well win it, Rohit affirmed as he took his spot again.

Everything came hitting hack. He had been playing for his country for 15 years now. The road hadn't been smooth, he had seen his fair share of ups and down. He had been there where he had no fixed position in the team, when he was uncertain about his career in cricket. From batting at number seven making runs countable on fingers to opening for the team and scoring double centuries, he had seen it all.

From being one of the many players, one in the folk to becoming a stable and reliable batsmen, he had seen it all.

Of course, it didn't come easy. If he scored runs or was going through a purple patch, many people were ready to be associated with him, backing him up but the time when he didn't, when he struggled on the pitch the same people were ready to bite his ass.

Initially he tired his best to please everyone, he wanted everybody to like him but as the time went on and he was presented to the harsh reality, he realised it was impossible to do that. Infact he didn't need to, he felt happier in the small group of his family and peers.
He felt at peace.

Today he was not on the field to prove his worth to anyone- he didn't need to. He was here to do his job, not only as a captain of the Indian National Cricket Team but also for the 15 year old Rohit who once dreamed to play for the country.

Ebadot Hossain to Rohit, no run, and now gets a blow on the thigh! Not a day that Rohit would like to remember, that's for sure. Looks to work across the line and shuffles early for the flick shot, but gets struck on the unprotected area of the thigh. Would have stung for sure.

This would exactly be the day, he would want to remember. If he could play through this, he can play through anything.

Muttering a slight curse at the new stinging pain and blinking his eyes in reassurance to Deepak, he took a deep breath.

"benstokes", Virat growled almost squashing the water bottle in his hand which the staff had given him to keep occupied.

Required rate is now over 10 rpo. The wounded duo of Chahar and Rohit out there. If not for their injuries, you'd think that India still had a strong shout to win from here. But given the problems, it seems a mountain too far.

The problems seemed to get bigger as Deepak's wicket fell and Siraj walked out next.

"tell that swine to play safely and not exert himself or I'll walk out with my bat to hit him on the head right then and there", Virat muttered to Siraj and patted his back.

Virat saw Rohit laughing slightly when the two met on the ground and he knew his message had reached. The corners of his lips curled up a bit too.

Ebadot Hossain to Rohit, FOUR, well, Ebadot does go full this time but Rohit has it covered! A stunning off-drive through the covers and it's timed ever so sweetly. Quite sure that the injured hand would have stung but he has gotten momentum into his innings now. Just the kind of over India needed

An over in their favor later, Virat was again standing in his place reading to jump out if not for the warning glare Rahul bhai gave him from downstairs.

Two sixes and a four in an over with an injury, only Rohit Sharma can pull it off.

The match didn't end in their favour, but for once Rohit didn't feel bad. He gave his everything and even if he walked out of the field with a slight heavy heart which is normal for every match they loose atleast he didn't have to guilt for not trying.

Everyone was casting their gaze downwards not been able to meet his eyes.

Rohit plopped tiredly on the bench and sighed, "cheer up guys. It's okay if we didn't win today, not everyday is our day. I want all of us to give our best in the next. Giving our hundred percent is all that matters"

The juniors were quick to assemble around him and fuse about his injury, scolding him lightly and Rohit only looked over them with a small smile.

His eyes caught up with Virat and he raised his eyes in questioning. Virat only shook his head and mouthed the words "so proud of you" and Rohit couldn't help the huge grin on his face.

From being nobody to becoming The Rohit Sharma, he had seen it all.

.............

a/n well well well i know I'm veryyy late but here it is haha. i started writing it the next day but it took me somehow months to complete.

i hope you liked it!