Between The Two 2

"can I come in?" Rahul knocked gently on the door.
Virat looked at him in surprise as he gestured him in.

Rahul hesitantly took a seat in front of him as he stared at his fingers.

"what happened?" Virat asked in concern as he watched him cowering.

"I...... I don't like this Virat." Rahul finally confessed, "this tension, hatred is suffocating. Rohit and Mahi bhai loved each other so much then what happened? We can't work like this. We have to do something." he pleaded desperately.

Virat sighed helplessly as he pulled him in a side hug and watched the poor boy sniffle against his chest.

It was taking a toll on everybody. The last time he had seen Rahul cry was when his grandmother passed away. The boy went into a shell, talking only when necessary and Virat could not bear to see him lapsing back into it.

"it'll be okay Rahul. We'll do something. Trust me." he rocked him back and forth.

Virat felt drained as well but he had to stand strong for everybody. He tiredly ran his hand through Rahul's hair, luring the boy into a much needed sleep.

Rohit watched the encounter from outside the door before walking away.

...........

Rohit was benched.

Virat stared at the playing 11 list in bewilderment.
Benching Rohit when he was in his prime. Thank God it was the fifth match of the odi series which they had already won but why?

It was stated that Rohit would be missing out the last match due to some injury but Rohit had no injury.

How could Mahi bhai do that? Was Rohit really saying the truth? Was Mahi bhai serious when he said he'll drop him again?

Mahi bhai was instead playing a new guy who came from the reference. Virat hated such people and so did Mahi bhai so what in the world was he even doing?

"Virat bhai." Jassi called out in urgency with the same paper in his hand while Virat could only blink his eyes in reassurance.

Virat was the vice captain and he was not going to sit quiet.

........

"you benched Rohit." Virat jumped directly to the point in a no nonsense tone.

"he's injured." he replied without looking up from the file he was reading.

"he's not and you know that too." Virat replied deadpan.

MS sighed before closing the folder and focusing on the raging Virat.

"when you said you'll bench him, you really meant it?" Virat asked, his voice wavering in the end.

Virat's Mahi bhai could never play so cheap, who is this imposter?

"it's the fifth match. I wanted to try some new players."

"and you didn't even ask me?" Virat's eyes turned blazing as he flung the paper in the air.

"I'm the captain Virat and I can make decisions for the team without asking you." MS picked up the folder again leaving a stunned Virat behind.

Words refused to come out of his mouth as he stared at him in shock. Virat could only leave his room in silence before his knees wobbled and he had to hold the wall for support.

Virat's head spun and heart ached as Mahi bhai's words re-rang in his head.

Jaddu who had come out of his room saw him battling in the corridor and rushed to help him out.