Part Time Spies

"I can't here anything." Rohit whispered as he tried catching a few words of the conversation going on the opposite table.

"neither can I." Virat let out an exasperated sigh.

The waiter gave the two hoodie and sunglasses cladded men weird looks. They definitely did look creepy.

The two of them were currently seated in a cafe trying to spy on Samaira's lunch date.

Last night when the two families were having a merry dinner together she had very casually announced her plans of date with one of her colleagues and that had shaken Virat and Rohit's worlds.

Flashback

"why don't you come with us for shopping tomorrow?" Anushka asked.

"I would have loved to but I have a date tomorrow." Sammy replied as she smiled apologetically at them.

"oh my God! With whom? Why am I not aware of this? Is he good looking? How do you know him? How long have you been dating?" recovering from her initial surprise Vamika rambled in excitement.

The two ladies squealed as well, cornering her to give them all the juicy details.

Virat's eyes widened in horror and Rohit's eyes flashed in aghast.

" calm down we're not dating." Sammy laughed.

"yet." Vamika smiled slyly sneaking a piece of her favourite dessert from Sammy's plate.

"I thought you were dating Ayaan." Virat interrupted worriedly glancing at her.

"I wasn't. He's my best friend chachu, nothing else."

"but but I had already accepted him as my son in law." Rohit frowned.

"dada I told you, we are only friends." she sighed.

"I also thought of the wedding card design." Rohit muttered to himself but Virat heard him and patted his back in reassurance.

"though Ayaan is pretty hot. I'm sure this guy is good looking too." Vamika nudged Sammy, winking at her teasingly.

"excuse me." Virat crossed his arms making Vamika throw his hands up in surrender.

"you find every other guy hot, last time it was Rachit and you couldn't shut up about his abs for the next six months." Sammy rolled her eyes at her, "then you found this dude at the airport."

"what do I do? You see the best looking men at the airport just to never see them again." Vamika sighed dreamily.

"Yeh sab sunne se pehle mein bhehra kyo nhi ho gya." Virat covered his ears as he dramatically shook his head.

[why didn't I go deaf before hearing all this?]

"at what time are you going tomorrow?" Rohit asked.

"12 in the afternoon." she answered and excused herself when her phone started ringing.

Rohit looked at Virat and blinked, passing on the message of what was needed to be done.

Flashback ends

Rohit's phone started ringing, startling him all of a sudden.

"get me their famous blueberry and lemon tart cupcakes." Ritika ordered casually.

"whose?" Rohit asked innocently.

"don't pretend. I know you guys are following Sammy. One, you shouldn't but now that you're there, get me those." she giggled at the last part like a kid.

Rohit sulked before muttering a sure. Virat's phone pinged with a similar order and both of them shook their heads.

Rohit gasped when the guy reached forward to hold Sammy's hand. He squinted his eyes, not at all approving the unnecessary contact.

"mere se yeh sab dekha nahi jaa raha h." Virat announced almost painfully.

[I can't see this.]

Why have their kids grown up this quick? Why was it so difficult to accept this?
And why did it physically hurt in their chest everytime this guy brushed his hand with hers?

People were right, dads absolutely can't see their daughters growing up.

(speaking from true events, my father's face pales everytime anyone brings up my shaadi lmao
But I'm just a kid now🤷🏻‍♀️)

Virat turned to look at Rohit who already had one hand on his chest and looked almost ready to collapse.

"come we'll talk to him." Virat said, suddenly filled with a new confidence seeing his best friend's condition.

Virat dragged Rohit to their table and cleared his throat.

The two of them looked up. The guy looked confused while Sammy was shaking her head in disbelief.

" dada, chachu what are you guys doing here?" she asked raising her eyebrows as she withdrew her hand from his.

"we decided to come here for lunch and we saw you so we came to introduce ourselves." Virat answered innocently before he signaled the guy to shift and took a seat next to him.

The guy looked at the two men in confusion when Virat slung an arm around his neck tightly.

" chachu--" Sammy started but shut up when Rohit pressed her palm.

"Haan toh Mr, kya kaam karte ho?" Rohit asked as he smiled sickingly sweet at him.

[yes so Mr, what work do you do?]

"I'm her colleague, we work in the same company."

"do you know who she is?" Rohit asked next, taking a piece of bread roll from Sammy's plate.

"Rohit focus." Virat shrieked from the the other side.

"dada please, he doesn't know that I'm your daughter also I'm helping him make his girlfriend jealous, she's sitting right there and watching us." Sammy pleaded making Rohit's eyes go wide.

Rohit looked at Virat, who was already giving his piece of advice very calmly to the poor guy who almost looked traumatised, "I have a bat at home and it hurts really bad when used on people. One time someone tried to hurt our daughter and he wasn't found the next day."

Sammy grinned at Virat's obnoxious ways but maybe that's what she loved about these people.

In the future when she will actually meet her partner, she knew he would have to go through different tests setup by her uncles and father.

"we should leave now, come on." Rohit chuckled nervously before he pulled Virat out.

"kya kar raha h? abhi toh meine usse baat shuru ki thi." Virat asked irritatedly.

[what are you doing? I had just started talking to him.]

"teri baat khatam hone se pehle woh ladka khatam ho jata. Bc uska heart fail ho raha tha teri baate sun ke." Rohit rolled his eyes.

[the guy would have been finished before you could finish your talk. Bc his heart was failing hearing your talks.]

"mera bhi heart fail ho raha h." Virat suddenly exclaimed.

[even my heart is failing.]

"now what happened?"

"look there."

Rohit turned to follow Virat's gaze when he spotted Vamika laughing with some guy on the other side.

"benstokes."

❁❁❁
a/n: VeRy random idea lmao, I hope you enjoyed.