Four

The slamming of the bathroom door woke you up and you lifted your head to crack an eye at the clock. Normally, you were a morning person, but you hadn't stumbled into bed until nearly 5 in the morning. It should have been fine, since Garrett usually sleeps until noon. Today, apparently, he was getting up at 7. Sighing, you rubbed a hand over your face and rolled out of bed.

Bucky found you standing at the stove, spatula in hand while you worked on making breakfast. He was a little surprised to find you up, since he'd kept you up until only a couple of hours ago. After you'd wobbled your way back to your room, Bucky had remained awake making his plans.

"I figured you'd sleep in this morning."

You looked over your shoulder at him, giving him a half smile. "Garrett's up, gotta make breakfast."

Lifting a brow, Bucky tucked his hands into his pockets. "Garrett is 27, certainly he could handle making his own breakfast so that you can sleep."

"He prefers that I do it," you answered shortly, turning your attention back to the pancakes and flipping them.

"That doesn't mean you have to do it."

"I like to." Judging by your defensive tone Bucky suspected you didn't.

You were setting the plate on the table when Garrett came into the kitchen. "Oh, good you made food."

He sat down and dug into it, not bothering to give you the simple courtesy of a 'thank you'. Bucky had to restrain himself from saying something about it, but the fact of the matter was he couldn't understand his son's behavior. He'd been raised to treat women better than the way he treated you. With a shake of his head, Bucky headed back to the guest room to take care of one more thing before he left.

You were making the bed when Bucky stepped into your bedroom. Panic crossed your face when you looked up to see him standing there. "What are you doing?"

"Relax, doll." Bucky stepped over to you, keeping his hands tucked into his pockets. "I just want to see how it's looking this morning."

"What?"

He nodded towards your legs. "Show me."

You blushed but lifted the edge of your night shirt and turned your leg out. The bruise he'd given you bloomed spectacularly. Eyes dropping, Bucky examined it before bringing those icy eyes back to yours. "You're going to think about me every time you catch sight of this."

It was a statement, not a question, and you knew he was right. Tilting his head, he rubbed his thumb over his bottom lip. "I've got to head out."

"Okay," you breathed out. He watched you for a moment longer before he turned and left.

~*~*~*~

"Here. Pull over here." Bucky leaned forward and tapped a hand on Sam's shoulder.

Steve looked up from his phone as the other man pulled to the curb, eyebrows raised, "Flower shop? Don't tell me you're gonna send her flowers."

"So, what if I am?"

Snorting and shaking his head, Steve looked back down at his phone as Bucky climbed out of the car. The moment the door shut; Sam turned to look at him. "Who's her?"

"His son's girlfriend," Steve answered, not bothering to look up at him.

"You're shitting me."

"Nope."

"Okay, but why?" Sam asked.

Steve chuckled ruefully, glancing out the car window to see his lifelong friend standing at the counter and speaking with the attendant. "Why does a man like us get a woman flowers, Sam?"