Forty-two

"You didn't tell me she was pregnant."

"Is that a problem?"

"Quite the opposite. Her use has just tripled."

"Is that so?"

"Mhm. I have plenty of clients who will pay top dollar for someone in her condition, and once it's finished, I get to sell two for the price of one."

The voices filter into your awareness, but you take several confused moments to truly understand what they are talking about. You. They are talking about selling you. And what's more, they are talking about selling your baby. Vicious anger swells in you, snapping your eyes open and pushing you to sit up and glare at the two men standing in the room.

"Ah. Pity she's awake," an unfamiliar man says, his blue eyes cold as he regards you like a piece of meat. Which is likely accurate to his thoughts considering what you just heard. In an offhand way, he says, "You could have marked her up less, you know."

"Does that really matter?" Garret asks.

"It sometimes causes complaints."

"How's that?"

"A lot of my clients like to think they are the only ones who are leaving behind marks."

"She likes to fight the inevitable," Garrett shrugs dismissively. "You'll see."

The way they discuss you as if you aren't intelligent enough to understand them stokes the new anger in you. So, when the other man walks closer to you, you don't shrink back, you just continue to glare at him. They'd touch your baby over your dead body.

"Yes, guess I will," the man says. Then he addresses you for the first time, "But you're gonna be smart for me right now and come along quietly aren't you?"

You snort. As if.

He grins and pulls a syringe from his pocket and wiggles it at you. "Got two choices. Come along nice and easy or I use the drugs to knock you out. And I'm sure you know just how risky lots of drugs are to someone in your condition, yes?"

Arms circling your stomach protectively, you nod once. The man's eyebrows raise. "Is that a yes to the easy way or the hard way?"

"Easy way."

"Good girl."

It makes you cringe when he says it, as if the words are sliding over your skin like something slimy. He tucks the syringe away and turns back to Garrett. "Get her cleaned up, I have to make some calls before we take her."

Garrett just nods as the man leaves the room. When he comes over to the bed, bending down to unlock the chain around your ankle, you finally speak. "You're gonna die, you know."

His head pops back up, and he rolls his eyes. "Yea, yea. You've already said dear ol' da and his bestie are gonna kill me if they find me. Blah blah blah."

"No."

"What?"

"They aren't the ones who will kill you," you say. "I am."

You can tell you've taken him by surprise as he nearly gapes at you. And while you've grown accustomed to the idea of violence since you fell in love with Bucky and Steve, you've never been a violent person. But turns out, the mere idea of him, this other man, or anyone else thinking they can take your baby and hurt them woke a violent streak you weren't aware you had in you. And you knew it wasn't an empty threat you just uttered, you'd follow through with it at the first opportunity if you could.

Garrett scoffs and rolls his eyes. "Shut the fuck up. Get up."

His fingers dig into your upper arm as he drags off the bed to your feet. You stumble and nearly fall down, and his grip just tightens. It's so tight it feels like his fingers are grinding against the bone of your arm. "Let's go."