Twenty-three

"Hey, we need to talk."

Bucky sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. Apparently, it is a day that everyone needs to talk to him. And none of them care that he has his own shit to do. Rubbing his fingers over his nose, he looks up and asks, "What is it Steve?"

Steve shuts the door at his back, but doesn't move further into the office. "How come you aren't having sex?"

"Excuse me?"

"Exactly what I said," Steve says, arms crossing over his chest.

Eyes narrowing, Bucky sits back a little in his chair, fingers tapping on the arm. "I don't know how it's any of your business."

With a humorless snort, Steve rolls his eyes. "Oh, please, you've involved me in your sex life for years. So, what the hell is going on?"

"Nothing is going on," Bucky says, looking back down at his paperwork, "So, if that's all?"

"If nothing is going on then why aren't you having sex with her? Don't tell me there's someone else."

Insult, ripe and sharp, blooms as Bucky's head jerks up. "What the fuck kind of fucking question is that? When have I ever done something like that?"

"Never, but there's always a first time, right?" Steve says. When Bucky stands, anger flashing in his eyes, he holds up his hands. "Relax Buck, I just want to understand. If there's not someone else, then why?"

"Jesus Christ," Bucky presses his fingers into his eyes. "She had a fucking concussion. Not to mention her bruised ribs. Bruce said strenuous activity should be avoided. So, I've been fucking avoiding it. No matter how much it fucking frustrates me. Not hurting her is more important."

Steve stares at him for a long moment, digesting the information. "So, what you're telling me is that you're just a fucking idiot, then?"

"Excuse me?" Bucky's voice has gone dangerously cold. "You want to run that by me again?"

"She thinks you're losing interest," Steve says simply, watching shock and denial rush over his oldest friend's face.

"Well, that's just absurd. There's no reason she needs to think that."

Steve shoves his hands into his pockets, rocking back on his heels a little. "Really? Because insecurity works like that does it? All she knows is that for the past couple of weeks you've been insanely busy and barely giving her any time."

"That's because I've needed to stay busy so I don't go fucking insane."

"I don't give a shit about your excuses, Buck, she needs you to shove your shit over this aside and take fucking care of her like she needs."

"I am taking care of her like she needs!" Bucky is nearly shouting now.

"No you fucking aren't!" Steve shouts back. "You're here, dealing with shit you could fucking delagate or take care of tomorrow instead of at home, making her come."

The two of them glare at each other, each breathing hard. Bucky breaks eye contact first, frustratedly dragging his hands through his hair, disrupting the ordered strands. "Okay! I get your fucking point."

Hands dropping away, he eyes Steve a little more carefully. "Told you all this did she?"

"Not exactly, she never said anything specific. But I've spent a lot of time with her, and have learned a lot about her. What happened to her didn't just hurt her physically. Her heart is hurting too. And you're the only one who can fix that."

Bucky ran his tongue around his teeth. "You know, if I didn't know better Steve, I'd say you're going a little soft."

"Oh, shut the fuck up, you jerk."