Twenty-eight

"Are you ready for this, gorgeous?" Steve murmurs quietly into your ear as the two of you make your way through several security checkpoints at Stark Tower.

Unable to speak over the nerves bubbling wildly inside of you, you just jerk your shoulder in response to his question. Understanding, Steve brushes a hand lightly down your spine before stepping up behind you at the metal detector.

"Anything metal goes in the bin," the guard manning the station says, his voice sounding almost bored. Who knows how many people he sees through the machine during his shifts.

You're not carrying anything, having been asked to leave your phone in the car due to potential security risks, and not in the mood to carry around a purse. So, you're quickly passed through without incident, turning around just beyond to wait as Steve instructed you to. Then you watch as Steve empties out what he's carrying into the waiting bin.

Seeing him pull what seems like an absurd amount of weapons out of places you didn't even realize could hide one makes your lips twitch in amusement. It reminds you of that scene in the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie with Elizabeth and Barbossa. When Steve passes through, it's another few minutes as he stows everything back away.

"What are you smiling at?" Steve asks as the two of you make your way down the long hallway to your destination.

You shake your head and stifle a giggle. "I'll explain later."

"I'll hold you to that," Steve says quietly, hand resting on your arm to pull you up short. You turn to look at him in question. "Things shouldn't get crazy in here, not with all the precautions taken, but still. Stay close to me unless Bucky says otherwise? Okay?"

"I understand what's at stake here, Stevie."

That's why you are so nervous, today's meeting was a culmination of nearly a year of work on Bucky's and his organization's part. Behind the doors you and Steve are standing in front of will be just about the most powerful and deadly people in the underworld. It was like that party you'd gone to with Bucky on steroids. Times three.

If ever there was a time for you to cut bait and run, it was now. But aside from the thought about how different your life is now than it was only a few months ago, you have no intention of doing anything but walk through these doors and immerse yourself fully into this world.

Seeing you square your shoulders and give him a small smile, Steve nods once before placing a hand on your lower back and escorting you through the doors and into the lion's den. Vaguely, you're aware of the other people in the room as the two of you cross it. But the only one you have eyes for is Bucky.

Those icy blues capture your gaze instantly and don't let go. Aside from the intensity of his gaze, Bucky shows no outward sign of pleasure at seeing you. If he hadn't prepared you for how he would need to react, it probably would have stung to not see that familiar flash of warmth you normally see when Bucky looks at you. But, you understood that he didn't want to give anyone the slightest inkling of just how much of a weak spot you are for him.

Appearances matter.

Steve leads you to two chairs, holding yours out before dropping into the one next to you. Several more people filter into the room and then as if responding to some unheard of call, the chairs around the long table fill up. Bucky's at the head of one end. The spot of honor afforded to him since he is the one who set this whole thing up.

As the meeting gets underway, you try to stay focused on the things being discussed. Trying to ignore the knowledge that eyes keep coming back to stare at you. Some do it more than others. But you try your best to ignore that all.