Forty-eight

Steve's fingers scritch gently across your scalp as you rest with your head in his lap, barely paying attention to whatever it is that's playing on the TV. Tantalizing scents from the kitchen are making your stomach complain and whine. Bucky had thrown both you and Steve out of the kitchen until the food was ready, you because of the bedrest thing and Steve because he was absolutely hopeless when it came to cooking.

"Remember the first time you were here?" Steve asks, his eyes twinkling when you look up at him.

"Last Thanksgiving?"

"Mhm," he hums, reaching down to link his fingers with yours. "You were wearing those fucking jeans that made your ass look amazing, and then you changed into that fucking gold dress."

"I love that dress."

"Me too," Steve agrees ardently, making you laugh. "I spent pretty much the entire time wondering what you had on under it. That and wishing I'd seen you first rather than Bucky."

"Is that why you flirted so shamelessly?"

"Nah, that's just the way I am." Steve pauses, as if he's considering something, then says, "How I was, anyway."

You roll your eyes playfully, lifting your linked hands to your lips to kiss his fingers. "I spent the whole weekend twisted into knots. Mind bouncing back and forth, fighting with my hormones."

"And the hormones won."

"Yeah, they did. How come you were up that late anyway?"

"What's that?" Steve asks.

"That night, in the hallway, when you told me I was going the wrong way?"

"Night owl. Plus I was jerking off."

"What!" you exclaim, your eyes darting back up to his face. "You were not."

"Course I was. I just said how hot I thought you were right? I'd just finished and was heading down for a post self-coital drink. It was just a coincidence that you were in the hallway at that exact moment."

You squint suspiciously at him for several long moments, but he keeps a straight face the entire time. Eventually, you give up and turn your eyes back to the screen. The moment you do, Steve asks casually, "You know, in the order of fairness, I really think you should sneak into my room at some point."

"We share the same room. How am I supposed to do that?"

Steve hums thoughtfully, his hand tapping yours lightly against your side. "That does make it more complicated. Guess we'll have to sneak out of the bedroom and fuck somewhere else then."

The thought already has your body humming with excitement, though you try to act nonchalant about it. "I guess we could do something like that."

"It's a date." To seal the declaration, Steve leans forward so he can kiss you. Bucky calls out that food is ready and you begin the arduous process of getting up.

"It's kinda perfect isn't it?" Steve asks as he helps you to your feet.

"What is?"

"A year ago, things had really started, this year things are getting back on track, and this time next year you'll have what? An eight month old?"

"Well, the due date is February 2nd, so she'll be like 9 months. Don't see how that's perfect." Steve shrugs but doesn't elaborate on his opinion.

Bucky looks over from where he's plating up food as you and Steve walk into the kitchen. You waddle your way over to him, pushing up to your toes to give him a quick kiss before asking, "Want me to help with anything?"