Five

Juggling the groceries, you managed to unlock the apartment door and pushed inside. Setting the bags down on the counter, you heard Garrett's loud exclamation from the living room. "Jesus Christ, Ma. Why?"

Curious, you stepped up to the doorway and looked in to see him pacing back and forth, phone to his ear, speaking to his mother. You returned to the kitchen to unload the groceries, knowing he wouldn't appreciate you eavesdropping. When there was a crash from the living room, making you jerk.

"Garrett are you okay?"

"No, I'm not fucking okay," he yelled back.

Walking into the living room, you saw the wet spot on the wall and the shattered glass on the floor. With a sigh, you walked over and knelt to clean it up. Garrett was sitting on the couch, staring at the ceiling, his face dark with anger.

Dumping the shards into the garbage, you heard him shout, "Bring me a beer!"

"Do you want to talk about it?" you asked when you handed him the beer.

"We're going to my dad's cabin for Thanksgiving."

"Your dad's cabin?" You squeaked in surprise while your stomach flipped over. Reaching up to touch your throat, you asked, "I didn't think you like to visit your dad?"

"I don't." Garrett drained the beer in two gulps and handed it to you. "Another."

Getting up, you retrieved another beer and sat back down on the couch, tucking your feet under you. "So, why?"

"Because Ma insists. Apparently, my dad has decided that he wants to spend more time with me, and Ma thinks that's great. So, now we're going for the weekend."

"The weekend?"

"Wednesday night to Sunday morning," Garrett answered, eyes trained on the tv.

"Oh, um, great."

It had been nearly two months since Bucky had visited, and you had been pretending like nothing had happened. How were you supposed to keep doing that if you were in a small cabin with the man?

~*~*~*~

Bucky was in the kitchen, sleeves rolled up to his elbows while he stirred the stew. His eyes flicked towards the security monitor when it beeped and saw Garrett's car at the gate. Perfect.

"You gonna fuck her again, aren't you?"

Looking over at where Steve was leaning against the counter, sipping at his scotch. Bucky shook his head. "Why don't you help me with this instead of doing nothing."

Steve snorted. "I'm not gonna risk bringing the wrath of Ma Barnes down on my head by screwing up one of her precious recipes."

"My Ma's been gone for over 17 years and you're telling me you're still terrified of her wrath?"

"Hell, yeah." Steve said, watching the car coming up the drive. "So, back to the question. You gonna fuck her?"

"You know, if your ma knew how much filth poured out of your mouth daily, she'd die from the shock and then come back to wash your mouth out with soap."

"Nice deflection," Steve commented.

"I thought so." Bucky wiped his hands on a towel and went to answer the door.

Garrett stepped into the foyer, with you following close behind. "Dad."

"Garrett," Bucky greeted, eyes trained on your face as you spun in a slow circle, eyes trained on the ceiling. Garrett didn't bother saying anything else, just headed back to the kitchen, likely to grab something to drink. You had a duffle bag on your shoulder.