Mom and Dad meet the Herd(request)

Request from Tannerh012. My ocs Raylan and Amaya, Diego's parents are in this moment. Short story, if your read back the parts where we first meet Raylan, and Amaya, after that the geysers become unstable and the saber family get out in time but Amaya's hurt so she needs rest and the Herd is close by so they go to them

"Mom and dad. Meet the Herd. My family" Diego introduced his parents to them as everyone looked at eachother. Raylan scanned each one with a puzzled look. 'Some mammoths, sloths, possums and a weasel? How did Diego get mixed up with them?' He wondered confused as all of them seemed different from one another. Not mention all were, in the usual saber view, prey which would make a predator, like himself and Diego, hard to coexist with peacefully.

"So this the Herd you told me about? They are...odd" he commented unsure. "Raylan" Amaya told her mate firmly, not wanting to risk offending their son's friends. She understood his reasons and she thought the same thing but there was no need to say it out loud.

"Yeah. I get that a lot. But they're reason that I'm alive" he told his dad, hoping to assure him he had nothing to worry about. Shira was letting Amaya lean on her for support while Tackle stuck to her.

"Look I get this might take some to adapt. But it's just until we can get Shira's pack to accept you and mom. But right now, mom needs to rest. And so do you" Diego explained to his dad. Raylan thought about it carefully. His son wasn't wrong. His mate Amaya was injured and needed care. She already lost one of her hind legs. Now she had a burn on her paw that needed to be healed. And he himself felt exhausted by what happened back at the geysers. His son has a point as he let out a heavy sigh.

"Alright. If you can find a way to live with them, then perhaps so can we" Raylan agreed with him, offering a small smile. It relieved his son that he heeded his words. While it would take some time for his parents to get use to living with some herbivores, it was a start.

"Come on you two. Let's get Amaya some help" Shira told both sabers as she helped her mother in law walk with Tackle following close. The other members of the Herd had some uncertainty but Ellie took pity on Amaya. "Aw you poor thing. Come on. Let's get that burnt checked and get you some rest" she offered her kindly. "Thank you" Amaya told her gratefully as Shira took her into the den.

"Brooke. Can you get me some healing herbs please?" Ellie asked her pink sloth friend. "Of course Ellie. Anything for our friend and new friend here" she said before leaving to get them as Ellie went to the female sabers to check the injury.

Meanwhile, Raylan looked torwards the rest of the Herd, observing each one. He and Manny stared at eachother, the mammoth glaring at him with suspicion. The saber glared back, approaching them as they maintained eye contact. The mammoth felt like he was meeting Diego all over again only one more silent and intimidating. "Why is it so quiet? I don't like this" Sid piped up nervously, breaking the silent stare off. However, that directed the older saber's attention to the sloth. Raylan eyed him weirdly, having never seen an animal like that

"What in the ice age is that thing?" He asked his son, turning to look at him. "That's a sloth dad" Diego answered him.

"Um....hello" Sid said, smiling nervously as Raylan approached him, sniffing the sloth, and circling him with suspicion and uncertainty. "Pleased to meet my best friend's dad. You know you look alot just like Diego. But hey you already know that. Like father, like son right?" He said, anxiously as Raylan continued circling him and analyzing.

And here Sid thought Diego was intimidating. Raylan carried a much more powerful and silent aura that really got the sloth frightened. He barely knew Raylan so he had no idea what he was like or what he might do to him.

Manny however, didn't like how the old saber was acting and scaring his friend. "Hey old rough and intimidating. You done scaring my friend here?" He asked him irritated yet protectively as he walked up to him. But Diego quickly walked up to Manny to stop him. "Wait Manny. Just trust me on this" he explained to him firmly. He knew his friend meant well but that would only provoke his father.

Raylan finally stopped circling the sloth, standing in front of him. He then eyed the mammoth, getting a good look at him too. There were some mixed feelings right now.

"Um you not gonna eat me are you?" Sid asked him afraid as the brown saber looked at him, unphased. He scoffed at him as he turned around. "I don't eat junk food" he said coldy without looking back. The sloth froze, realizing those are the same exact words Diego said to him years ago. "Yep. Definitely like father like son" he said terrified, quickly zooming back to Manny and hiding behind for protection.

"I don't think I like the way Raylan approaches people" Manny commented bluntly as Raylan made his way to check on his mate. "Just give him a chance like you did with me. Just until we can get Shira's pack to accept my parents in. For now, they need rest ok" Diego explained to him calmly. The mammoth sighed heavily but when he took a look at the sabers, he saw Raylan asking Amaya if she was alright. She nodded to her mate, smiling warmly as he nuzzled her affectionately.

It made Manny's face soften and he did feel bad for what they have been through. "Alright. I'll try to go with it" he told his friend who smiled at him gratefully. "Thank you Mannh" Diego told him as he glanced at his parents, knowing full well this would take time for them to adjust but it would be worth it.