Diego's Birthday (request)

Request from Danah4life

Shira was chasing a rabbit in hot pursuit, the saber and her prey zigzaging around.

Shira huffed and breathed hard, her body aching and her paws hurting and the rabbit gotta away. Shira slowed to a stop exhausted and tired, breathing hard.

"Still...got...nothing" she panted and fell the ground exhausted. "Uuuugh. There's gonna be something I can get Diego with less work" she moaned tired. Today was Diego's birthday and Shira was struggling to get him a present in the last minute.

The saber had spent all morning hunting prey so she can bring something for Diego but so far nothing. She was exhausted and tired and...grrrr....and hungry.

Shira's ears twitched at the sound of her stomach rumbling in hunger. Shira hadn't eaten anything since she wanted to get Diego food.

"But first I gotta get myself some food" she told herself and stood up, her muscles burning and aching from hunting. She walked off to find food for herself but Shira couldn't shake off the guilt and failure in getting Diego a gift.

'Come on Shira. Diego's done a lot for you. He's the one who showed you kindness. He's the reason that I saw Gutt's true colors and joined the Herd in the end. I gotta find something good for him in return' she told herself in her head and groaned.

Her eyes spotted a lake and she spotted a salmon jump out of the water and dived back in. Shira licked her mouth, starving and she made her way over to the lake, crouching down, ready to catch her prey. Her blue eyes focused on the fish swimming in the water and..."SNARL!"

Once the fish swam up to the surface and out of the water, Shira snatched it with her teeth and she dragged it back to the ground, the fish flicking itself. Shira finished off the fish and started tearing at it and eating it quickly, her hunger quickly dying down.

Shira licked her lips, tasting juicy salmon and let out a satisfying sigh, her hunger gone. She licked her paws clean and stood up, shaking her fur.

"Ok now that I fed myself, time to go find Diego a present" she said about to walk off but then she caught the scent of something familiar. Her nose sniffed the air and Shira's eyes widen when she realized the scent was Diego's.

Shira quickly looked around a spot to hide and they landed on the lake. It has to be a spot where he won't catch her scent.

Diego showed up at the lake, walking to the edge to get a drink. He crouched down and started licking the water...completely oblivious to Shira handing in the water.

Shira was hiding in the water far from him. She in deep, only her ears and eyes above the water so she could spy on him. If he turned to her direction, she would dive in the water immediately.

Diego finished drinking the water and his eyes spotted some salmon, one of them was a big one. Diego stood up from his crouch as Shira watched "If I could catch a salmon that big, that be a great birthday meal" Diego commented as he walked off.

Shira's ears perked at this new info and once the brown saber left, she lifted her head out of the water so her nose and mouth was above the surface. She smirked as her eyes went back to the water, getting an idea.

"So Diego wants a salmon for his birthday huh? Heh hehe" Shira whispered to herself as she took a deep breath and dived back into the water.

Couple minutes later....

"Shira? Shiiiira? Where are you?" Diego called out worried. It was sundown and Diego hasn't seen his mate all day, not even in the morning...that's because Shira woke up really early to get him something.

He sniffed around and his ears perked up when he caught her scent. He quickly ran over to the direction of her scent and he spotted her.

He lifted an eyebrow confused when he noticed that Shira was soaking wet, her fur dripping drops and she was carrying something in her mouth.

"Shira? Where have you been? I haven't seen you all day" he asked her worried and it was only when he got closer, his eyes widen in surprise  when he saw what she was carrying.

Shira was carrying the large salmon in her mouth. It was so huge and heavy that it was twice as big as Shira's arm.

Shira smiled at Diego tired and she dropped the fish on the ground and she looked at him. "Happy birthday" she told him smiling tired and Diego looked at the fish. He recognized it as the one from before.

He looked back at Shira and he could tell that she was exhausted and must have been struggling to catch a big fish.

He smiled at her and nuzzled her sweetly, feeling her soaking fur on his cheek. "Thanks Shira. This fish is big. Too big for me to finish by myself. Wanna eat with me?" He offered her and she lied exhausted.

She was surprised at his offer "Really?" She asked him and he nodded to her, nudging the fish closer to her so she could eat it. Shira smiled at him and they nuzzled eachother before enjoying their huge salmon dinner.