🌻 In Like Flynn 🌻

[Breakfast, On The Terrace]
It's a beautiful morning in the beloved kingdom of Corona. Birds are blessing the people with their heavenly melodies and the sun slowly awakens, shining down upon everyone.

Rapunzel and Y/n have breakfast with their parents on the terrace as Eugene approaches. Rapunzel is attempting to convince their mother and father the archway of the castle could do with some decorating to make it look more welcoming.

"It's the first thing people see when they enter the castle, Dad. I mean, maybe we could remodel it or something, you know, make it warm and welcoming." Rapunzel advises. "That archway is an important line of defense, Rapunzel. It is imperative it convey strength and security." Frederic tells her.

"You want strength and security, here's what you do.." Eugene says with his mouth full as he sits beside Rapunzel with his breakfast, making Frederic raise an eyebrow at him, unimpressed.

"Lion statues! Ooh, ooh, better yet.. turn the archway into a giant lion's mouth! No, wait! Let's do the whole lion-" Eugene suggests, still with food in his mouth. "Thank you, Eugene. I'll take those suggestions under advisement." Frederic interrupts, with a rather stern expression.

"Ahh, teamwork! Up high!" Eugene says, raising his hand to the king for a high five - Frederic silently refuses, continuing to eat his breakfast as Y/n and Rapunzel watch them in embarrassment.

"Your Majesty!" Eugene encourages, chuckling. This doesn't help - still no reaction from Frederic. Rapunzel shakes her head at Eugene, to stop. "Right! You're eating. We're eating. Next time, then. Cool.." Eugene says awkwardly, sitting back down.

[After Breakfast, In Rapunzel's Bedroom]
Rapunzel is busy painting a portrait of Bucky and Pascal, while Y/n plays a tune on her guitar.

"You know, Blondie, you might wanna start coming up with lion designs for that archway. I think that idea got some real traction with your dad." Eugene tells Rapunzel as she paints.

"I'm sure the king loved your idea(!) You do realise he was just being polite, and probably didn't wanna call you a nitwit to your face." Cassandra remarks with a wicked grin, from behind Rapunzel.

"Cass! If our dad didn't like Eugene's ideas, I think he would just say so." Rapunzel tells Cassandra. "Yeah. And he's never been shy about calling me names to my face before." Eugene adds. "Well.. I don't know about that, Eugene. When our dad says 'I'll take it under advisement', it's just his way of shutting down ideas." Y/n points out.

"Ha! Well thanks for the advice, Kiddo, but I clearly remember him saying, 'I'll'.." Eugene says. "'..take those suggestions under advisement'." He remembers Frederic telling him. "Oh, no! He does think I'm a nitwit!" Eugene realises, teases a pause. "And there it is!" Cassandra remarks.

"This changes everything! I cannot have a father-in-law who doesn't take me seriously!" Eugene says. "Why not? No one else takes you seriously." Cassandra retorts, making Y/n giggle.

"That's not true, Eugene. Our dad thinks very highly of you." Rapunzel insists, smiling at him. Cassandra shakes her head from behind them.

"Though, maybe there are times you could be a bit more selective about the kinds of things you suggest to him. He is the king, after all." Rapunzel points out. Cassandra nods, in agreement.

"Et tu, Blondie?" Eugene questions, with a frown. Then, he pauses. "Okay, you know what? It's fine. It's fine. I can fix this. Quick! Name things your dad likes, that I can pretend I also like to impress him!"