42: We won

Kitiara's head was pounding but she opened her eyes nonetheless.

She needed to see how the battle was going.

For the warrior's great surprise, her eyes landed on Katara. " Grandma ? " Kitiara asked unsure of her sanity.

The water bender smiled down at her as she bended some hot water on the back of her granddaughter's scalp. " Hey, little one. How are you feeling ? "

Kitiara closed her eyes relinquishing the feeling. " Like shit. "

The older woman laughed at that before kissing her forehead. " I know. I know. Your fall broke a couple of bones and resulted on a great concussion. But no worries, grandma's here. "

The girl smiled at the feel of her grandma's gentle touch and smoothing words.

After a while, the headache became less painful. " What happened ? " Kitiara inquired.

" The battle was won. I don't know much, only that Korra rushed you here saying that you are critically injured, which was true. " Katara replied.

Kitiara heard a door opening and shortly she felt a presence next to her.

" Sooooo... How's my princess feeling ? " Kya's voice echoed through the room.

" Better. " Kitiara's hoarse voice responded.

Kya gave the girl her signature smirk before giving her niece some water to drink.

" Thanks. "

" Everything for my little princess. " Kya said applying some water to Kitiara's arm.

The younger woman sighed slightly shaking her head - move that followed by a small reprimand from Katara and a huge headache.

Kya and Bumi had been calling her princess since always. As their first niece, Kitiara held a special place in their hearts.

But as Kitiara grew older, she couldn't afford being called something like that in front of other people so the nickname had subsided but apparently Kya never forgot embarrassing stories or nicknames about family members.

" Don't you dare call me that in front of Korra. " Kitiara threatened.

" Or you gonna do what ? " The woman teased.

" She won't. But I will. " Lin joined the conversation, her metallic boots could be heard from meters away.

Kitiara could feel Kya's smile widen. " One more reason for me to do so~ "

Kitiara opened one of her eyes to look at Katara. " Excuse me but I want to vomit. "

" Hey. My flirting skills are really great. " Kya defended herself.

Lin shook her head dismissively. She knelt next to her daughter and placed a hand on her forehead.

" You good, kid ? " Lin whispered.

" At least I survived. " Kitiara relaxed at her mother's hand.

Lin hummed deep in thought before turning to the healers. " How's she ? "

" Linny, guess what. " Kya held Lin's shoulders. The officer raised an eyebrow but didn't comment.

" She'll live. " Kya declared widening her eyes and deepening her voice to put more emphasis in her sentence.

Lin's face remained serious, not even a tiny blink. " Kya, I don't know whether you've noticed but my child is currently laying on your floor, injured and you are flirting with me instead of helping her. "

Kya froze for a second thinking what Lin just said. " Mental support ? " Kya raised her shoulders titling her head with a big smile.

The Chief rolled her eyes returning her attention back to her child. Kya sighed sitting next to her while Katara continued healing Kitiara wordlessly.

The kyoshi warrior was confused as hell. They were at the Southern Water Tribe. At her grandma's.

Why ?

Had they lost the battle ? Were they forced to retreat ? If so, had Kuvira followed them ?

Did anyone die in the fight ? If yes, who ?

Was it Korra ? Where was she ? How was she ?

Didn't her grandma say that Korra brought her here ?

She must be alive, right ?

And Asami ? And Su ? What about Opal and Bolin ? Was Mako still alive ? Her dad ? Had her half siblings survived ?

Kitiara fought against her headache and forced her brain to form a sentence. " What happened ? "

Lin took her daughter's hand in hers and squeezed it. " We won. "

Alright, so I, first of all, want to thank every and each one of you who read, commented, added it on your reading lists and voted on my story.

You had no idea how much it means to me.

Secondly, that's the end of Kitiara's story. She and Korra grew, faced challenges, got married and adopted two wonderful kids.

I'll let your imagination work and picture their children as you wish.

Thank you for following this story to its very end and it's been a real challenge for me not to lose motivation or forget what I wanted to include in the plot.

I won't tell you how many different endings I came up with, just know that this one wasn't one of them.

Thanks again for everything, hope you are all both mentally and physically healthy.

And remember, I love you all 😍❤️