Chapter 64

"Would you like me to call you Ella or Elena?"

"Elena is fine, thank you."

"Wonderful. I'm Dr. Wren, but you can call me Ellen if you like," my new therapist introduces herself.

"Nice to meet you, Ellen," I grin from my seat and fiddle with my fingers.

With some encouragement from Ares, I opened up to Malcolm and Imani about what happened.

The look on Malcolm's face was one of pure horror, and sensing his panic and my being on the verge of depression, Imani suggested a good therapist. Now I'm here.

"Nice to meet you as well, Elena. Now, the first session is an introduction. After today, I'm going to see how often we need to set up sessions depending on how severe your mental health is going down."

"Considering I got drunk and almost killed myself, I'd say it's pretty bad."

The shock on Ellen's face gets a chuckle out of me, because hey, if I'm not laughing, I'm crying.

It's pretty comical how Ellen immediately gets her notepad and starts writing things down already.

"I assume that's one of the reasons you scheduled an appointment with me?" she asks and crosses her legs in her seat.

I nod and lean back in mine. "My manager and his assistant said that it'd do me some good. I didn't realize I needed this, someone to talk to and to help me better understand my emotions and cope with them."

"Okay," she hums and notes something else down, "so that's one of your goals? To learn how to cope with your emotions in a healthy way. What else?"

"To accept grief and do it in the right way. I feel so... lost and empty without Violet and want to prevent from getting self-destructive."

"I assume you were very close to Violet?" Ellen concludes, and I nod. "Yeah, she was my best friend."

"How did she die?"

"She overdosed. It was a suicide."

Ellen is back to taking notes. "You haven't been dealing well with grief. Most people hold on to anger, straight-up don't talk about it, or are in denial. You know the five stages of grief?"

I nod. "I was in denial at first when I found her. I didn't want to believe that she was... gone," I bring out, my throat thick with emotion.

"Did the denial last a long time?" she asks and tilts her head to the side. "It lasted the entire night. Even when the realization sunk in, I didn't want to accept it. The anger came not long after."

"Who or what were you angry at?"

"I felt like I was angry at everyone. I was mad at my friends because they knew about her addiction – or, well, they knew she used but didn't know how severe it was – and kept it hidden from me. I was angry and sad when I found the note Violet left me because all I kept asking myself was why she didn't say goodbye? Why would she do that instead of talking to me? I was angry at myself for not seeing the signs and being so ignorant."