Smells Like Teen Spirit

It was early in the morning and Valencia was with Ric and Elena in the woods. Ric was training them on how to protect themselves from vampires and how to kill them. Valencia could barely keep her eyes open as she watched Alaric punch a mannequin with a sleeve on his arm that had two stakes in it.

"So the pressure of your punch ejects the stakes," Alaric told them as he gestured to the two stakes that were now in the mannequin's chest.

"Easy enough," Elena said but proved herself wrong when she punched the mannequin and the stakes didn't eject. "That's weird." She tried again but just like the first time, it didn't work.
"Must be jammed or something."

"How about we let Via try?" Alaric suggested.

Elena took the sleeve off and gave it to Via, who put it on. She punched the mannequin right in the middle of the bullseye that Ric had drawn. When she pulled her arm back the stakes were impaled in the mannequin. "Okay, I love this thing. It's a nice outlet. Where can I get one?"

"Let me try again." Elena held her hand out toward Via. When Valencia gave her back the sleeve, Elena put it on and Ric reloaded it for her. Elena punched the mannequin again and just like the other two times, the stakes didn't eject.

"You're not strong enough. Better start lifting some weights, put some meat on your bones," Alaric bluntly said.

"Thanks for not sugar-coating it," Elena said sarcastically.

Alaric reached into his bag and pulled something out. He showed it to the twins and asked, "You know what this is?"

"A vervain grenade. I've used one before," Elena answered.

"Then you know the element of surprise is your only advantage when it comes to a vampire." Alaric pulled the pin out of the grenade and tossed it to Elena. "Surprise."

"Oh my God," Elena said and then tossed it to Valencia.

Valencia's eyes went wide as she caught the grenade. She threw it in the air and it exploded. Via turned to Elena and yelled, "What the fuck, Elena?!"

Elena ignored Via and turned to Alaric with anger written on her face. She angrily pulled off the sleeve. "This isn't a joke to me, Ric."

"You think I'm joking? Vampires will take whatever they want. They will hurt whoever they want. And they'll do it without remorse. It's their nature," Alaric exclaimed.

Valencia rolled her eyes. It was obvious who he was talking about. "And by they you mean Stefan. He's not Voldemort, you can say his name and not be eaten by Death Eaters."

Alaric gave her a 'really' look before he said, "Look, I get why you're here. Stefan hurt you. You don't want it to happen again."

"But you think that we're crazy. To believe that we can protect ourselves from a vampire who's flipped the switch on his humanity," Elena said.

"I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning. And that makes you the strongest person I know. I think that you can do pretty much anything," Alaric said while looking at Valencia.

Valencia sighed and changed the subject. She didn't want to keep talking about what happened. "Doesn't school start soon? We can't be late. It's our first day of senior year."

Ric and Elena watched Valencia walk the path that led to the car in sympathy. She hasn't said anything about what happened senior prank night and they were worried about her. So was everybody else.

————————

Valencia stood in front of the school, starting at it. She would've gone in but she was waiting for Caroline or at least that's what she told herself. The truth was that as soon as she pulled into the parking lot, memories of Klaus and Stefan plagued her mind and she couldn't find it in herself to walk in. Valencia's hand came up to the side of her neck where makeup covered up the bite mark from Stefan.