Prologue

It had been a long day for Valencia Gilbert. She had spent most of the day helping Carol Lockwood organize and set up the Founders' Hall for the Founders' Day 150-Year Anniversary Kickoff. When everything was set up, Mrs. Lockwood let her go home and get ready. When Valencia got home, Elena reminded her that they were supposed to tell their younger brother that they were adopted. Jeremy took it well, telling them that they were his sisters no matter what. Once they went home, Valencia got ready and went to the Kickoff where her best friend Tyler made out with her dead best friend, Vicki's, mom which Matt, Vicki's brother and Tyler's best friend, saw and got into a fight with Tyler. After that Valencia left and went home which is where she was now. She was in her room, getting ready for bed when Jeremy came barging in.

Valencia looked at him with wide eyes and yelled, "What the hell, Jeremy?! Ever heard of knocking?! I could've been naked!"

Jeremy ignored her and said, "Vicki's death wasn't an accident."

"Not this again. Look, Jeremy, I know that it might be hard to accept, but Vicki OD'ed." Valencia sighed, she was tired of Jeremy bringing up her death.

"No, she didn't. Elena messed with our memories. If you don't believe me, believe her diary. Here, read it." Jeremy held out a green book that Valencia realized was Elena's diary.

"You read Elena's diary! Really?! You can't invade someone's privacy like that!" She lectured, refusing to take the diary from him.

Jeremy shook his head, "You're not listening. At the party tonight Elena said 'whatever it was she's gone now', why would she word it like that if she thought it was an overdose? I asked that and she wouldn't look at me that's her tell-tale sign she's lying."

"Stop! Just stop! Vicki is dead! Finding out if she really OD'ed or not won't bring her back!" Valencia snapped, she didn't want to hear anymore. When Vicki left town, Valencia was hurt, but she knew it was for the best no matter how much she missed her best friend. A few weeks ago, Vicki's body was found, she was dead, and another void appeared in her heart adding to the two that were already there from her parents' deaths. She was trying to move on and Jeremy bringing up Vicki's death wasn't helping.

"Yeah, she is and you're the one that killed her!" Jeremy yelled making her flinch.

Tears welled up in her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. Mustering up a glare Valencia spoke in a cold tone, "Get out."

Jeremy shook his head and opened the diary, "Listen to this, 'Dear Diary: Vicki is dead. Stefan tried to help her and show her how to survive after Damon turned her into a vampire, but she ran from him. She attacked Jeremy and me, so to get her to stop Valencia staked her in the heart. Jeremy was a mess and Valencia was beside herself. She had just killed her best friend and was in complete and utter despair. The only other time I had seen either of them in the state was when our parents died and I couldn't let them go through that again. I asked Damon to compel them to forget what happened that night, to tell them that Vicki left town and she was not coming back. To not look for her or worry about her, that they'll miss her but that it's for the best. I also asked him to compel Valencia to forget about finding out that he and Stefan were vampires and that they didn't exist. That Vicki never became a vampire and that Valencia didn't kill her. He did as I asked and now my siblings are sleeping peacefully without the weight from the sadness of what happened tonight'."

"You're lying." Valencia cried out, there was no way any of what he just read was the truth. She didn't kill Vicki, vampires didn't exist, and Elena didn't mess with their heads. None of it was true, it couldn't be. She grabbed the diary and read it then reread it, not wanting to believe it. She looked up from the diary and at Jeremy, seeing the tears in his eyes she knew it was true and broke down.

Valencia sobbed and shook her head as she mumbled 'no' over and over again. Jeremy watched as his oldest sister cried and felt tears run down his cheeks. She was in pain and so was he, at first he was mad at her for killing the girl he loved, but he knew she was just protecting him. Jeremy reached out and brought her into a hug. Valencia clutched his shirt in her hands and cried into his shirt. The two siblings stood in the middle of Valencia's room and cried together. At that moment, the two needed each other more than ever now, especially with what was to come.