Heart of Darkness

Klaus knew where Jeremy was which meant that the youngest Gilbert was no longer safe. Valencia, Elena, and Damon were going to Denver to bring Jeremy back home while Stefan stayed with Ric at the boarding house. Alaric's alter ego hid the white oak stake he was given and Klaus was expecting Stefan to deliver two white oak stakes but he only had one. So, Ric was staying in the cell in the basement of the boarding house until evil Ric made an appearance and Stefan could get the location of the stake out of him.

Valencia wanted Stefan to go with her and Elena and for Damon to stay with Ric but they needed to find out which Original's bloodline they were a part of. To do that they had to talk to Rose and ask who turned her so they could trace their bloodline back to an Original. Rose was dead but Jeremy could talk to the dead. Jeremy never met her and since Damon was close to Rose he was going to help him contact her.

Valencia was at the boarding house and was talking to Stefan while Elena talked to Ric in the basement and Damon got his luggage. Via huffed, "Why can't you come instead? You knew Rose."

"Barely. You can always stay here with me," Stefan offered.

"I would but I miss my brother and I want to see him as soon as possible. Plus, I've encountered Ric's alter ego once and that was enough for me to never want to do it again. Be careful, okay? Evil Ric won't hesitate to kill given the opportunity and I like you being undead."

"Oh, you do, do you?" Stefan teasingly asked.

"Yeah, you're nice to look at," Valencia teased back.

"Wow, that's the reason?"

"Yep," Valencia playfully said.

"Is this how things will be between the two of you now? All sickeningly cute and making me want to puke?" Damon asked as he stepped off the bottom stair with his luggage.

Valencia rolled her eyes, "You're the one eavesdropping on our conversation. If we make you sick then don't listen in. Problem solved."

Damon smiled sarcastically at Valencia before he looked at his brother and asked, "You hear from Klaus?"

"Not yet. I'm sure I will soon though," Stefan said. He picked up the one white oak stake he had and showed it to Damon. "He's expecting me to deliver two stakes, I only have one."

"Well, that's gonna be disappointing for him."

"I'll get it out of Alaric. I just need some time," Stefan confidently assured them.

"I like that confidence, Stefan. I don't share it, but I like it."

"You don't think I can do what it takes?"

"Well, you're good Stefan again. You're in control. Sorry, you might get the girl but you lose the edge."

Via glared at Damon. "Good or bad, all a person needs is the right motivation and they can get hard things done. If Stefan doesn't get the stake then Klaus gets angry and kills him or someone he cares about, if that's not the right kind of motivation then I don't know what is."

Stefan smiled lovingly down at Valencia, her confidence in him making him feel like he could do anything. Valencia could feel his stare and looked up at him, a smile forming on her lips at the sight of his smile. Damon watched the interaction and groaned, this was how it was going to be between the two of them now.

Elena walked into the room and Damon sighed in relief, his attention turning toward the brunette doppelganger. He asked her, "Have you ever flown first class?"

"Who did you have to compel for that?" Elena asked snarkily.

Damon scoffed, "Pft, please. I use miles."