Chapter 21

“Rae?” A soft voice asked. I instantly recognized it as Molly's.

“Hmm?” I replied half asleep. I immediately rubbed my eyes as I sat up on the couch.

“You alright hon? Looks like you been crying.”

'”yeah, I am fine,” I said as Molls gave me a glance “Really, it was just some lifetime movie.” I added.

“Those things will get you every time.” Ashur said walking up to us.

“And, how would you know that?” I questioned him.

“Uh, Molly watches them all the time...yeah, that's it.”

“Sure,” I laughed. He narrowed his eyes at me and pretended like he was upset but I knew he wasn't. Especially when he joined in laughing too.

“So,” I asked after an awkward silence, “how was the dinner with the parents?”

"Miserable.” Ashur said.

"Dare I ask?” I said as I looked at Molly.

She just looked back at me and replied “Oh, it was not that bad.”

“Was too.”

“Alright, you win.” Molly said, giving up.

“Thank you!” Ashur said, a huge grin spanning across his face.

Molls just shook her head as she turned and looked at me, “How was your spaghetti dinner with Aaron?” She asked sweetly.

“It was alright,” I said with a glance toward the ground.

“I am taking this as my cue to head upstairs and put the baby to bed for the night.”

“Observant creature isn't he?” Molly said chuckling. Ash, ever so mature, stuck his tongue out. Molls ignored him so he continued on upstairs with the baby cradled in his arms.

“What's wrong?” She asked in that tone of voice that a mother gets when they know their child is upset, as she sat down beside me.

“Well,” I start, “I was happy, thinking it was just going to be me and Aaron. Then his friend calls and found out what we were having and next thing I know he is coming over. Don't get me wrong, I like Tanner, He is the nicest out of all Aar's friends.”

“But?” Molly asked, realizing there was more to it.

“I don't know.” I said softly. Once more glancing toward the ground. “I just, I really wanted to hang out with Aaron and then he went and invited a friend over. Guys can be so clueless sometimes!”

“Honey, you forget I live with Ashur now. Try all the time.” I had to admit that caused me to laugh a little.

“True, but, oh, I don't even know why I am complaining. If I would not have minded you guys there..”

“That was before we had to decline though,” Molly said trying to be helpful.

“Yeah, I suppose.”

“Look at it this way. You still got to spend quality time with him as well as getting to know his best friend. I would say that's a pretty good deal,” Molly said comfortingly.

“Thanks Molls. I may have said this before but I'll say it again. What would I do without you?” I leaned over and gave her a short hug.

“Rae, I'm afraid to know,” she smiled as I started laughing like crazy.

“To tell you the truth, I don't really want to know the answer either. I think it would scare me.”

“I know it would. You and Ash are both so crazy, I think it would be chaos if you two didn't have me. I try not to think about it.”