Epilogue

"Are you nervous?" I chuckle when I watch my jittery girl pace in front of the restaurant

Her head snaps in my direction. "Is it noticeable?"

I throw my head back laughing and put both my hands on her cheeks, leaning down to kiss her.

"I might not be fond of my mother, but she's not an asshole like my father is. She already said you looked like a lovely girl, don't worry, baby."

Elena pouts and nods, entwining our hands together and seeming to gather some courage before we enter the restaurant.

After some hesitation on my part, I agreed to go on a dinner with my mother. And Elena. Because even though I could care less if my parents approved or not, I felt like this was needed and my therapist also suggested this might do me some good.

I'll just need to swallow back my anger and not ruin this night by bringing up the past. I'll try.

For Elena. Only for her.

When we enter the fancy-as-shit restaurant my mother picked out for us, I see her sitting at one of the tables that are set for three.

I'm glad to know she didn't decide to make my dad tag along, guess she knew I would've left immediately if he came along.

When my mother spots us heading towards the table, she sits up a little and a relieved but also gleeful expression takes over her features.

I squeeze Elena's hand in mine and lean down to kiss the top of her head, before pulling out her chair and taking my seat next to her.

"Ares, I'm so glad you decided to come and bring your lovely girlfriend with you," my mother smiles and directs her smile at my girl.

"I'm Eva Aetos, so nice to meet you," she says and extends her hand formally, which Elena shakes and sends a small smile back to my mother.

"I'm Elena Amoretto, likewise."

Taking some time to look at my mother, I notice how she's dolled up like always, just like my dad likes.

What she can't hide, is the exhaustion displayed in her eyes and her smiles that are more often than not, forced and practiced.

One wouldn't say it's fake, but I can always tell.

Though, the smile she's directing at my girlfriend seems genuine and excited enough.

She was never more than a trophy wife to my father and only a presence in my life, doing only the necessary things to take care of me but never actually taking care of me.

"I know who you are, you make quite the impression on stage," my mother smiles at Elena. "You're very talented. I'm proud of my son for having landed himself such a treasure."

"You flatter me," Elena blushes and seems a bit more relaxed than when she entered this place.

I flip open the menus lying in front of us and Elena follows my action, so by the time the waiter comes to take our orders, we ask for what we want to drink and eat.