ath. fifteen

┌──────═━┈┈━═──────┐

Chapter Fifteen

└──────═━┈┈━═──────┘

  ❝  Familiar Faces ❞

⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆

"Athanasia," Claude called his daughter when he set sight on her walking passed his office. It seemed her mind was somewhere. "Athanasia."

"Papa!" Athanasia exclaimed as she turned around. She furrowed her brows for a moment thinking how her father sneaked up on her, when she saw the open door near Claude. "You scared me... You need anything?"

"You've been walking from my bedroom to my office since this morning," he said, "Isn't it you who need something from me?" Claude smirked as Athanasia just awkwardly giggled, as it slowly became incoherent.

"I want to ask Papa a favor. Uhm, would you please be my partner for my debutanté ball? It's okay if you don't wanna, I could ask Felix or Lucas. But, I'd prefer to go to the ball with Papa." It may not seem like it, but Athanasia said all of this in one breath. So she took a panted for a second, took a deep breath, and put her most cutest and adorable puppy eyes to convince Claude.

She doesn't need though, Claude already agreed in his head that he'll be Athanasia's debutanté partner. Claude gave Athanasia a smile and nod his head and almost immediately, Athanasia's expression immediately turned bright.

"Really, Papa?! To take backs, alright!"

And by that, Athanasia ran through the halls as she beamed the shimmering light that she have since her father agreed. Claude only chuckled and went back to what he was doing before.

Moving time forward, as the princess' birthday passed by, the debutanté day have arrived. It was quite busy in the Emerald Palace. Claude himself shuddered at the thought of being dolled up to the max, as what Athanasia is experiencing at the moment.

Claude only needed to bathe properly, put some light powder in him and he's done. His appearance is perfect already, only his attitude are not. Well, not all are perfect as what they say.

Claude waiting for Athanasia, Athanasia arriving and went inside the carriage with him, the two walked hand by hand as they entered the grandiose ballroom with many nobles, young ladies and lords. Claude already experienced all of it in his last life, and he enjoyed it. As long as it was his daughter he's dancing with and not someone's daughter.

"Papa, you know, Lucas said he's coming." Athanasia whispered to Claude as her father twirled her. Claude only hummed in reply as they focused on the dance.

Athanasia doesn't want to mess it up, but Claude knew she'll mess up because just a moment later, she'll step on his foot.

Stomp!

And she did. Claude only smiled in pain as he wondered why the heels of her daughter felt so painful and heavy.

"S-sorry, Papa..." Athanasia blushed as she turned her head away from her.

Claude can only chuckle as he patted Athanasia's head. And it repeated continuously until the music was over. Those who saw Athanasia stepping Claude's feet pitied Claude's feet. Lucas was laughing hard in his head as he saw his spell was a success.

"I-I'm usually good... I wonder what happened." Athanasia sulked as she gloomed at how an epic fail her dance was. Her dancing skill was one of her talents, how could she have ruined it? "I'm sorry, Papa."

"It's alright," Claude patted Athanasia's head as he softly smiled at her, but it immediately faded away like it didn't happen. "But do make sure to not step on someone's feet from now on."

"Papa~!" Athanasia cried as she blushed at her father's words. She can only punch Claude lightly as her father laughed.

To the two, it might seem natural to be like that. But for the nobles, it was like a scene that only happens once in a blue moon. The last time they saw Claude smile was when Empress Diana got crowned. It was really, beautiful and shining.

Felix coughed his throat, as he pointed the musicians who stopped playing music and Claude took notice of it. He waved his hand in sign to continue as he continued to converse with Athanasia. He wanted to see if the dog and the zombie attended the ball.

In a corner near theirs, his eye met with a black-eyed man. His eyes was like coal, as it was really dark and black. It lasted a few minutes, as if they were conversing through telepathy. And there, Claude knew who was that man.

Claude cheekily smiled at the man as he turned his head away and towards Athanasia who was saying goodbye to him. At first, he thought Athanasia was running away but then he saw her dance with the ladies. He can only chuckle at himself at how ridiculously worried he was and overreacting.

"Have you gone crazy, Your Majesty?"

Even without looking, Claude already knew who it was. He silently groaned as he turned his head to Lucas who was wearing formal clothes. He even fancified himself and braided his hair. Lucas really was going all-out, but Claude's looks wasn't topped. We all knew Claude looked way better than Lucas, I don't know about Anastacius though-

"Are you planning on dancing with my daughter?" Claude questioned as he watched Athanasia dance with other girls. He remember every single one who Athanasia was talking to. They were all her daughter's friends. "I wish you luck, magician."

"No need, I'll just get rid of the magic." Lucas laughed at how Claude's glare pierced through him. Instead of being afraid of the danger, Lucas only smiled and backed away for a few steps. "By the way, remember that chimera girl?"

Claude went stopped himself from hitting Lucas and composed himself. He nod his head as he gritted his teeth at the memories he buried years ago.

"She was adopted, right? Well, it seems like the one who adopted her was that Patterson guy." Lucas chuckled as he turned the direction of his stare to the corner. "He did very well on turning her into a social butterfly. She befriended the nobles already."

Claude can only sigh as he stopped himself from hurting his palms. He can't stop the adoption since he's not related to Jennette, but he didn't knew she'd be adopted by her real father. Claude don't know if it's Anastacius or Aeternitas' doing. He doesn't even know who the hell's controlling that body.

"Don't worry, I'm sure that he won't introduce that chimera as your daughter."

Claude glanced at Lucas, who he caught whispering some protection spell. "Have fun dancing with Athanasia."

"I thank His Majesty on giving me the chance to do so."