ath. seventeen

┌──────═━┈┈━═──────┐

Chapter Seventeen

└──────═━┈┈━═──────┘

  ❝ A Gambit ❞

⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆

"I heard you asked His Majesty that you'll invite someone to his birthday banquet," Lucas suddenly brought up while the two of them are sitting at the edges of Athanasia's balcony in her bedroom. It was nighttime, and the only time Lucas is available. "Who are you inviting?"

"A friend of mine." Athanasia cheekily smiled as she continued drinking the hot chocolate, Lucas made for her.

It might've been Lucas' imagination, but he's sure Athanasia's eyes brightened for a moment. Like the stars that are brighting in the night skies. Pairing her cheeky smile, he knew, something is up. Athanasia never acted that way until now, she was quite behaved and cheerful.

She's never been like this until she befriended that chimera girl at her debutante ball... Lucas thought as he glanced at Athanasia. Slowly, her expression became more cautious. It's as if, she have regained the thirst to seek revenge.

"Be careful," Lucas muttered out of the blue as he held Athanasia's locks of hair. "One day, you might get yourself killed..."

Like last time because you're near that chimera.

Athanasia simply giggled, "Seriously? Who would dare hurt the first in-line to the throne of Obelia?" a tight smile flashed from her face as her eyelids are partly closed. It's that taunting smile that Lucas have never seen. It's clear that she's hiding something from Lucas, her most trusted confidant. "You shouldn't worry much, Lucas."

"If you're not telling, I'll tell His Majesty about that night two months ago."

"I invited Jennette."

Lucas quickly turned his head towards Athanasia in disbelief. His mouth opened agape as his eye twitch. Lucas didn't see this coming, and yes, he and Claude had been planning on how to kill those pests around her. Even so, lunging towards the enemy's territory is not advisable!

"Lucas, I just wanted to invite her." Athanasia pouted when she noticed his disbelief towards her.

Like hell you do! Lucas internally screamed, both his lips which was smiling awhile ago are twitching now too. His companion can't help but feel offended though, so Athanasia gave him a smack in the head.

"Seriously, what are you planning?" Lucas scoffed when the Princess beside her turned her head away from him and crossed her arms. She always does this whenever the two of them fight. "Athanasia, will you tell me?"

"I... don't like the Lady Patterson." Athanasia softly sighed as she raised her knees and laid her cheeks at her kneecaps. "She was nice, but before that, I noticed her staring at me maliciously as if I took something from her."

But in the first place, it's her who took everything away from me.

Of course, Lucas took notice of Athanasia's gripped hands. Both her hands are tightly held, as if she have a grudge to someone else. He thought of this, yes. He just didn't expect her to be so into the thought of revenge. He doesn't know if it's a push back because of the time reverse that Athanasia's grudge to Jennette was passed onto the Athanasia's he is in front to today.

"Are you willing to get yourself a revenge that you're sacrificing your happiness? You could lose many things in the process, you know?" Lucas asked Athanasia, who glanced at him when she noticed his silence. Instead of disgust by the way she's acting and her pettiness, worry washed over his face instead. It's one of these things she loved about him.