17

Chapter 17 - Kai the Knight

FLO POV

It took us two days to find Queenie and Zac. So it was like a two day camping trip only the camp was my apartment.

"They're back in London." Seth said me as I cooked dinner.

"Well that's a relief." I answered holding out my hand to DO. "Pepper please."

DO placed the bottle in my palm without a word as he continued cooking noodles.

"And they weren't injured or anything. Queenie said that they were just kept inside a room for the whole stay." Nikki said.

"Strange and no ransom was asked am I right?" I asked slapping away Chen's hand from taking a piece of nori.

"Yes. It is strange." Seth said.

"But at least they're safe now right?" Minny said.

"Yes safe and fine." Seth said flashing her a smile. "But I'm still concerned because we didn't know what they wanted. The Institute AI sent an alert immediately and that only happens when the Institute itself is under attack."

I paused at what he said and thought it over my mind. I picked up my phone and dialed a number.

"Hello?" Paige answered with a tired voice.

"It's malfunctioning isn't it?" I asked without preamble. I silently hand the spoon to Chen who took it without question. "Paige is VIOLET malfunctioning?"

"Yes she is acting a bit weird." Paige answered and I heard the faint clicks of computers. "It happened after Q and Z were kidnapped, I only got back from helping A."

"They were a distraction then. Paige you need to secure the mainframe. Whoever kidnapped Q and Z wanted something from our computers." I said.

"I can't. VIOLET locked herself down when she was attacked. The last bit I got before she turned Iron Wall on me was a bug looking at the Alps project." Paige answered. "It's bad and good at the same time. Good because whoever it is, they're trapped inside VIOLET bad because we can't get inside and catch them."

"Dad will need the other codes from the directors to override the Iron Wall. That will take too long." I mused as I started pacing. "VIOLET will only respond to a AI she knows... SAM can do it but none of our people there know how... BRAD! She knows BRAD."

"Oh! Your AI!" Paige said with more life in her voice. "You can ask BRAD to go the backdoor and he can trace the hackers while VIOLET keeps them on lock down. Brilliant Flo. Can you access BRAD now?"

"I'm at the apartment. I'll leave once we take level one down." I said. "For now keep a watch on VIOLET."

"Of course. All operations requiring the Internet are on hold now. Nexus was alarmed when we suddenly went off the grid." Paige said her voice returning to it's weary tone.

"We'll leave once everything is taken down." I said.

"Flo I think VIOLET can hold on for a while. Only move when it's safe." Paige said.

"Of course." I said.

"How did you even know VIOLET was malfunctioning?" Paige asked.

"Educated guess. Protocol only calls for all the 26 to be under Level one if the Institute is under attack be it physically or virtually. We all thought that the kidnapping was the attack, we got concerned and it well slipped our minds to remember VIOLET and the computers." I explained. "Anyways VIOLET's still in lock down. I'll call you once we get BRAD inside."