39

CHAPTER 39 - Memory Flickers

FLO POV

"Hello Flo." Dr. Rufus asked. He was pouring me a cup of hot chocolate which he said Dr. March had approved that I can drink. I smile as I place my hands around the cup and the warmth of the drink warmed my fingers.

"You know, Dr. Rufus salespeople use a warm cup of coffee as a sales trick." I said sipping the drink.

"Oh? Do enlighten me." Dr. Rufus said placing a plate of cookies in front of me.

"It lays in the warmth the coffee offers. The feeling of warmth tricks your brain into thinking that you're in a safe place and as a result you become more trusting. You tend to buy more if you trust the seller, correct?" I said taking a cookie and nibbling on it. It was delicious, I should ask for the recipe.

"So I should not take the free coffee then." Dr. Rufus said sitting in the other chair in front of me, a small coffee table was in front of us.

"Well the word 'free' is so hard to resist." I answered with a grin. "That's Flo random trivia of the day!"

"So how was your day Flo?" Dr. Rufus asked as I settled down into my session with him. "How are you healing up?"

"My day was uneventful at most." I answered. "And I'm healing quite well. The gunshot wound doesn't ache that much and the broken bones are mending quite nicely."

"That's so great to hear dear." Dr. Rufus said with an encouraging smile.

"But this one."I said and pointed to my head. "Is not doing that well. I have a question Dr. Rufus."

"Yes dear? What is it?"

"Do I have a code name for you?"

"No." Dr. Rufus answered after a laugh. "You just call me Doc."

"How long have I been under your care?"

"Ever since Malcom was killed Flo."

I paused and sat back. I tried not to think about how we stopped the arch villain of my life.

"It's so surreal Doc. For me he still exist and yet he's long gone.. It's like he was resurrected in my brain."

"You used to have severe nightmares about him. Are you having nightmares again?"

"No but I think once I'm fully off the pain medications they'll come back. How did they stop in the first place?"

Dr. Rufus remained silent and I knew what that meant. They stopped it.

"You won't remember what you said about your nightmares but it was very insightful and helpful to my other patients, so I'll give it back to you." Dr. Rufus said and tapped away on his tablet. "Here it is. 'Nightmares are usually a manifestation of one's fears or things that they worry about. It is sometimes very clear but most of the times it's abstract. When we go to sleep our conscious suppression of those fears are gone hence they come out as nightmares. There is nothing that can stop those but it can be fought off by more pleasant memories. Things that your brain has identified as more important then your fears. Nightmares will rule your unconscious mind unless you find something else to think about, something more powerful to dream about. I found that'."

"Interesting." I mused. "But can we move on? I hate remembering my nightmares."

Dr. Rufus gave me an understanding smile and a nod.

"I heard you met your mother's dogs?" Dr. Rufus asked.

"Is that an important question?" I asked.