Homecoming

Rajkumar couldn't recall the last time he had been in India. He missed the taste, the smell of home. It was a pity that he had to go back to London soon. There was so much waiting for him over there, including the new position at the hospital.

"Have you arrived?"

"Yes." he replied to the person on the phone, looking out the tinted windows. Papaji could make such a huge fuss.

"Okay. Wait for me."

The phone call was over and he relaxed in the back seat for a bit, eyes closed, before asking his chauffeur.

"Where is this place?"

"This is the Southern Lotus Hotel, sir."

"Okay." and then there was a pause, "Thank you."

He didn't need to look to see the incredulity on the man's wizened face, only gently chuckling. Most of his peers could pass for jackasses. Literally.

Soon enough, there was a knock on his window and the glasses rolled down to reveal a similarly-aged young man in a black suit similar to what Rajkumar was wearing. The only difference was that his was grey, hard to find in the sunless night unless one looked closely.

"Raj, my man!"

Rajkumar laughed and stepped out of the Lexus, without waiting for the chauffeur to come over to open the door and hugged the man.
"Rishabh, it's been so long!" he separated a bit, "I mean look at you, Mr. CEO of RK Industries!"

"Haha! The only CEO here is that mf, Veer!"

The two friends who haven't seen each other in years laughed and walked together into the lavishly decorated building.

Rajkumar whistled as his eyes settled on the decor and Rishabh signaled for the server to come with the wine.

"You really outdid yourself, Rishabh." he took the wine flute and sipped, curiosity in his tone, "But why did you choose to host the party? You know you didn't have to. I thought it was my turn this time. I can't believe Veer, that bastard, was in on this."

His friend sighed, melancholy.

"Brother, it's my mother that assured the old geezer that I can host this year. She wanted me to find a wife here. If I could, I would have left it all to you." he shuddered at the thought.

Rajkumar couldn't help himself and burst into laughter.

"It's just a wife. Why so much drama?"

Rishabh wanted to ask him why he thought a wife had no drama attached but he was interrupted by shouts behind them. Apparently, the rest of the gang was here.

"Rajuuu, our man!"

He rolled his eyes, fully aware they used his hated nickname Papaji always called him on purpose. It was a source of torment back in High school.

"Veer, you bastard!" he cursed at the guy leading the group.

"Don't act so pissed." Veer came closer and hugged Rajkumar, "We missed you too." then he turned to the server, "Get some real drinks, not this child's play over here."

The man bowed deferentially before heading to the storage room where the boss stored the most expensive spirits.

Rajkumar slightly frowned.

"Veer, you know I don't like to drink too heavy. It affects my hand-eye coordination."

Before Veer could retort, someone else did it for him.

"Too hypocritical! It's just alcohol!"

The atmosphere turned rigid as they all turned to face the speaker. Rishabh frowned at his younger brother, Karan.

"Karan, apologize. How do you speak to my friend?"

"Humph!"

The younger man refused to and looked away, but the corner of his eyes were stealing glances in Rajkumar's direction. He had never liked his brother's friend that was so perfect. People always said that they looked alike a bit, but he didn't buy it. How could he, the rascal, be anything like Rajkumar Reddy, ever-charming, never bad-hair day? That was the nickname he had for him in his heart since childhood. Karan Kumar didn't want to admit that it was an inferiority complex he had.

The accused sighed helplessly and patted Karan's shoulder.

"You know I'm a doctor and it's too risky for me to drink when I might have an emergency call anytime, Karan. I'm sorry if I spoiled your evening."

"N-no..I-I'm sorry." he replied, almost whispering. He felt ashamed at Rajkumar's gentle tone.

Veer clapped loudly.

"Okay, let this sappy moment end." he turned to Rajkumar, "Dude, you have to drink. There is so much to catch up on."

"Veer.."

Fateh, who had been silent all this while, spoke up.

"Rajkumar, just do this for us. It's been long, man."

"Yeah!" Veer chimed in.

Even Karan looked expectantly at him and he finally sighed, giving in to pressure.

"Okay."

The guys all hooted in victory before Rishabh spoke up.
"We have some very interesting news about that Prithvi bastard."

"Oh?"

"And someone else."

"Who?"

The guys winked at each other before Rishabh whispered, almost conspiratorially.

"You'll see."

"Ooohhh!"

Rajkumar wryly shook his head at his friends' antics and reached for his iPhone in his pocket.
"You guys go ahead. Let me just make a quick call to the hospital that I can't be reached this night."

Fateh patted his shoulder approvingly before they all headed into the nearby elevator. As soon as the doors closed, Rajkumar's hand around the phone tightened and his expression was dark, no one knowing what he was thinking.

In the end, it's just crushing a mere ant to death.