A crescendo of emotions

Manmeet sat up a bit straighter and took up some of the biryani with her spoon, but slowly placed it back down atop the rest soon after. Even though she didn't want Rajkumar's efforts to go to waste, filling her stomach was the last thing on her mind. Something else, literally, was taking up so much space there. And as soon as she had thought this, her eyes latched onto the culprit, lying calmly on the bed like it couldn't tell that it was the source of a person's inner turmoil.

And there was no way that it could have.

Rajkumar's watch was an IWC Portofino and just by looking at it, Manmeet could already tell that it embodied everything that its owner stood for. Subtly powerful. Understatedly confident. Nothing to prove and no need to care.

What a man.

Manmeet Chatterjee slowly reached for it and picked it up deftly with her fingers, before bringing it to the center of her palm, both ends falling past the side of her hand between her thumb and index finger, and the other side that was closer to her wrist. She gently caressed the crystal of the watch, thoughts flashing to all the past events of today. Manmeet felt the throbbing pound harder in her ears, and it only got worse with the new entry into the room.

"Love?"

Rajkumar took one look at Manmeet who was holding his watch, and then at the food that he had ordered for her thirty minutes ago, still left untouched. He walked over to her side and sat down.

"Manmeet, you haven't touched your food. You know, you should eat something." As he said this, a hand spooned some of the biryani and brought it closer to her mouth, "Eat a bit, love."

Manmeet glanced at him before opening her mouth to allow the spoon in. Rajkumar took it out after she polished it clean and tried to spoon some more from the plate. But she stopped him.

"Raj, I don't think I can eat anymore."

"You sure?"

"Yeah...you left your watch. Here, take it." She handed it over to him.

Rajkumar didn't take it from her. Instead, he cupped her face, a doting smile on his.

"You can have it if you want it, love."

"I don't want this, Raj."

"Hmm? You don't want this? Then, I'll take it from you." his hands went to the watch, but his eyes were still focused on her face and every change in her expression.

Manmeet felt like her words were stuck in her throat with the intensity of his stare on her skin. It was blazing hot, threatening to consume her.

"...Raj, I-I...I don't mean...I mean...don't want this." she started to cry all over again. It was too much. He was too much. He knew what she wanted to say, right? Manmeet knew that he knew. She didn't want this, any part of whatever this was. Or did she? Did she want it? Was that what he also thought too?

Rajkumar didn't allow her to stress it alone. He took her in his arms, patting her back gently like the reason for her tears had nothing to do with him.

"Oh, love. My poor darling."

Manmeet withdrew a little and looked at him, tears streaming down her face.

"H-he tried to assault me, Raj."

"How could he do such a thing to you? You are so sweet." he tried kissing her forehead but Manmeet suddenly pushed him away and towards the bed, catching him off-guard.

When he looked up at her face, it was a picture of anger and hurt.

"Don't talk to me like that! Like I am some child, okay?! I am not, Rajkumar, and I am seriously telling you what I am going through here!" she gesticulated with her hands, "How could you be so dismissive?!"