These check-ins

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport.

Prithvi. Prithvi.

Rajkumar had only stopped to take another paper napkin when he noticed that he had covered every inch of the one before him with his half-brother's name. He hesitated a bit before penning down a number from memory.

His flight had been delayed by two hours due to turbulence and the wait had led him to a quaint cafe close to his boarding gate. The remarkable thing about waiting alone was the introspection that it often brought.

Rajkumar was mulling over reaching out to Prithvi when he landed in London. It could be for a short meet-up like over coffee but any way back would do, at least for Papaji's sake. Even though he had never said anything, Rajkumar had learned about the past events in his absence from his mother and he thought it would be hard to send one's child away or have children who couldn't even drink a cup of coffee together.

Manmeet's upcoming delivery coupled with the events of the past year had made him more empathetic than usual. Afterall, wasn't that the push behind this trip in the first place?

Meeting with Prithvi on the side could be a good idea. Or perhaps not? How bad could it go...

"Here's your coffee, sir."

Rajkumar wouldn't have looked up if the server didn't sound so familiar.

"Shweta?" 

He was met with a face that he knew so well and could hardly contain his excitement, rising up to his feet to give her a brief side hug.

"Shweta, how are you? It's been such a long time. Please have a seat...that's okay, right?"

The young lady nodded frantically.

"Yes, I'm on a break doctor."

"Great. It feels so much better than standing, doesn't it?" he asked, tapping the armrest of his chair after sinking into it.

Shweta laughed nervously, a hand smoothing her crop pixie cut. Rajkumar noticed the background movement when staring at her glowing face, a satisfied smile on his lips.

"You look good, Shweta, and I am so relieved to see this. I really am. By the way, why are you not in school? It's a Tuesday afternoon."

"My school closed earlier today, so I got a headstart here."

"Oh, this is a part-time gig?" he went on after receiving confirmation, "Just make sure that your grades don't suffer, okay? You know you can always reach out to the contact that I gave you if there are any financial issues."

"Yes, doctor. Thank you, doctor."

"Ah, it's alright."

Rajkumar said nothing of her eyes that darted around, fixating on everything except him. She was lying but he didn't call her out. Instead, he tapped the menu card lying in the center of the table.

"Why don't you go ahead to order something? It would be my treat."

"R-Really?"

He chuckled, half-amused. The other half was lent to mild incredulity.

"Would I play pranks on my most diligent patient?"

"N-No, doctor. I'll order now."

Shweta's face flushed under his bemused gaze. She hurriedly scanned the card, not wanting to maintain eye contact. Her heart felt like it would burst out of her chest.

That was when her phone rang. It was an older model that was burgundy in color and had a distinct tone to boot.

She quickly retrieved it from her apron pocket and terminated the call, muttering apologies to other customers in the cafe. Rajkumar didn't miss the irritated look that crossed her face. He took another sip of coffee and placed his cup down so it made a soft thud against the hardwood.