Brother-in-law

Prithvi, of course, had no idea of his half-siblings' late night chat, and he would have sneered if he did. It was so amusing to see wretched hypocrisy in the most unexpected of places. Prithvi knew what it felt like, the pathological liar that he was. Fraud was deep into his very essence, his bone marrow, was hard to get out.

And that was why he knew that he was under scrutiny, of no other than his own father. It terrified the shit out of him, to be honest, that Bhairav suspected he had something to do with Murari's accident, but Prithvi refused to take the blame. If a man was weak, it was his own fault. What did a greed for the bottle have to do with him?

Nothing. It wasn't going to stick, he'd make sure.

Prithvi decided to sit at home, intent to stay under the radar for a while. But who knew that fate didn't want him to be? It was akin to sitting down at your doorstep and blessings fell from the sky. It was a bountiful harvest, this turn of events, but he didn't show his joy.

Only rookies showed their joy upfront. He was a battle-hardened pretender, his pleasure.

"What is it that you want? You should not be here." Features full of displeasure. A voice that let that be known. Prithvi was not playing here.

His act only increased the other man's anxiety, the intention of course. Mahesh was nervous, hands shaking, mouth trying to make a sound in vain. He was so terrified just sitting in front of this man. It made him want to get the hell out of here and never come back.

All of his thoughts were displayed on his face for Prithvi to see, and even if they weren't, it wasn't hard to understand from his cowering physique, seated in that chair just the right size. Usually, such reactions would have pleased Prithvi, especially now when every act of fear healed his wounds from the confrontation with Murari over a month ago. And yes, he was a petty, petty man, so there was nothing to hate here. Mahesh should have made him happy by being afraid.

But no, it was just the opposite.

This was a low-class offering, left a horrid taste in his mouth, like someone who was served ashes instead of a meal. Mahesh Sharma was too wretched, even for his hateful half-sister, and that meant a lot coming from him. Prithvi didn't have the time, nor the desire to sit here and do nothing but stare at this idiot. What a thankless task.

He tapped the desk with his fingers, each sound knocking atop the walls of Mahesh's heart.

"You should leave if you don't..."

"Brother-in-law!"

The other man's hurried response took Prithvi by surprise. Brother-in-law? He took a deeper look at this cowardly man before him. How interesting.

"Brother-in-law?" He gave him a chance to correct himself.

But the other man didn't take it. Mahesh looked Prithvi dead in the eyes, as if to tell him he meant business. Prithvi looked right back, sneering in his heart. He was impressed, but that was all. The facade was still too weak. It couldn't move him one bit.

Prithvi relaxed in his chair.

"Go back. Whatever you want isn't here."

"Brother-in-law, just listen to me please."

Prithvi shook his head while reaching for the power-bank in the top drawer so that he could plug in his phone. Some people never listened. He was grateful.

"I can't help you, Mahesh. You must know that I and your wife aren't close enough."

Mahesh nodded. Of course he knew, and that was why he was here in the first place.

"I know, brother-in-law."

There was that title again. How particular. Prithvi hated it, but didn't let it show. Instead, he had on a confused look.

"So if you know, why are you here?"

"I'm here because I need your help, brother-in-law."

Hmm?

"Hmm? Whatever for? You don't mean Rajkumar or father, right? I could call them if you want." He reached for his phone but Mahesh stopped his hand before quickly withdrawing it. His happiness overcame disgust, so Prithvi didn't retch. In a way, the other man was his benefactor. Look at the amazing ladder he was handing over.

"No no, brother-in-law, this is something only you can help me with."

"Hmm. Okay, go on. I'm listening."

His response delighted Mahesh, who began to think that the struggle to come all the way to his home was worth it, not to mention that he had to keep this visit under wraps from Choti, the reason he was here. Mahesh had spent enough time with her to understand there was bad blood between her and her half-sibling. Anyone who was on bad terms with that woman was good enough.

Mahesh inched closer to the desk, whispering.

"I want you to help me deal with Choti." he went on, encouraged by Prithvi's silence, "I know that you are on bad terms with her, so this would also benefit you too."

He watched the other man frown at his words, causing him to panic.

"I-I just want her to know her place in the home, that she is my woman and should defer to me, that's all. I can give you some shares..."

"Shut up."

Prithvi's command stunned Mahesh into silence. One look at his face informed him the amount of displeasure his words brought. It was scary. Had he made a mistake? Wasn't Prithvi in opposition to Choti and Rajkumar? What was with this reaction?

Only the man himself knew how happy he felt inside. Of course, that emotion was for only him to savor. On the outside, he was the perfect example of offended.

"You'd better shut up right now, Mahesh Sharma. Watch what you say. Priyanka is still my sister, so don't push it, okay? Go home now and settle your problems there, not in my home."

He pressed a knob-like device on the table. One of the men at the door came in almost immediately.

"Boss? You called."

"Yes, I did Jahaan. Take my brother-in-law home. It's too unsightly to place him in a cab. And brother-in-law," he turned to Mahesh, "talk through things with Priyanka. Stop messing around. And don't come here with such matters again, is that clear?"

"...Yes. Thank you." Mahesh silently stood up, a frustrated expression on his face. He looked at Prithvi, as if to question what the hell was wrong with him, but the other man looked at his desk, stance one that refrained from any negotiation.

And so, Mahesh turned around to leave, missing the looks exchanged between Prithvi and Jahaan, his designated driver. If he hadn't turned around, he could have seen it. He could have known. He could have saved his life.

It was a pity, indeed.

As soon as Jahaan left in tow, firmly shutting the door behind him, the grave expression on Prithvi's face vanished, giving way for an amused one, hand reaching for the power-bank and pressing against lips, a symbol of his appreciation.

He should be the one thankful, and he was. Prithvi thanked his dearest brother-in-law for this big gift today. He would pay it back in multiple folds.