Innocence never go back

Rajkumar had thought that was the end of the matter. But as it turned out, it wasn't.

He'd later wish that it had been.

Rajkumar sat atop the bed spearing through a chicken cutlet with a fork and brought it to his mouth. He should have enjoyed the savory taste of gravy, savior to his tastebuds and a harbinger of good memories past, he should have enjoyed all of it. 

But he couldn't, not when all his attention was fixated on the still washroom door. Eloise had gone in to do some cleaning after doing a bit out here. Rajkumar recalled asking why there was any need and she replied that it was the hotel policy. Apparently, they had to start prepping for the next guest who would be checking in as soon as he left tomorrow morning. She also made him promise not to make any major messes before then to which he acquiesced.

To be honest, Rajkumar had never heard of such a thing in his ten years on Earth. He had even panicked from the get-go when she brought in the cart of cleaning supplies and herbs but he had to will himself to relax and be accommodating. It wasn't like everywhere had the same rules and he had to learn, another leaf from Papaji's book.

That didn't mean that understanding made it any easier. His charcoal eyes were filled with anxiety, his tender mind wondering what was taking her so long. He hadn't stood up to peep and that was all on sheer will.

The door swung open just as he scarfed down the last of gravy from the bowl.

His ever-polite smile was in place but not for too long, frozen at the smell coming from Eloise. It was a peculiar one that made him uneasy for some reason that he could not place a finger on. But Eloise's boisterous aura that was a sharp contrast to the memory of her shedding tears profusely kept his words of inquiry stuck in his throat.

Thankfully, she answered his unasked question.

"This smell is from the herbs, young master. They have a particularly fishy smell which will go away in a few hours."

Rajkumar nodded, forcing a smile even though he couldn't help wondering how he could take a shower tonight with such a herb scent. It made him nauseous, to be honest, but he didn't want to offend her who was working so hard, or the other guests who had never complained about such a product. There had to be a good reason it was still in use.

There was no need to make a fuss.

"Young master?"

Rajkumar raised his head to find Eloise looking at him with concern.

"Young master, is everything alright? You...wouldn't really report me right?"

"No no, don't worry about that." He rushed to clarify, not wanting another torrent.

Eloise smiled under his reassurance. But Rajkumar could tell that it was uneasy. It made him sigh in his heart. Even though things seemed to be going south in the hour past, Eloise was someone who had really helped him throughout his short stay here.

It would be a shame that he left her under the radar instead of better than he had met her. Rajkumar thought he had too many resources not to achieve at least that. Well, Papaji had the resources, but that was by the way.

"Eloise?"

"Young master?"

He had a thoughtful expression on.

"I need you to do something for me...wait, no need to come over. I'll hand it to you." No way, that smell was just too much.

Rajkumar slowly got out of bed, tray in one hand, and reached for the notepad and pen on the bedside table with another. He placed the latter items in the tray right beside the bowl and then on the far end of the table. Then, he goes back to the center of the bed.