Flashes in a pan

The next morning

"Please leave my children for their mother to raise them."

Choti couldn't get her conversation with Malaika at the coffee shop out of her head. It had been her first time outside since that incident and she had kept tightly wrapping her shawl around her body, emotions heightened by the thought that all eyes were on her. But it was the actual conversation that had stumped her the most.

The expected resentment was lacking and if Choti dared to say, there was a bit of empathy in Malaika's words. For the entire 45 minutes, she had gently made it clear that she wouldn't agree to the adoption, especially not a woman who she had watched wreck her home. Her changed attitude told a story, that everyone passed through their own fires. To add to her credit, she wasn't exactly wrong. Where was the lie?

Yes. Mahesh was not a good man, but he had been her husband first. Choti couldn't refute that. Choti couldn't refute anything.

Well-manicured nails dug into the steering wheel's leather casing. Had she still been doing things wrong after her awakening? With this introspection, she recalled a phone conversation with Rajkumar a few days back, when he called to check in. Choti found it hard to forget.

"We are all sinners one way or another, Choti." We are all sinners.

Well, she didn't want to sin anymore. She wanted to do right.

"Call Raj."

Choti gave the voice command and waited while it dialed in. It seemed that she had to begin facing the things she had tucked hidden away where she thought no one could see.

What was even worse was that she had thought wrong.

******************************************************************************************

Mumbai medical college hall.

"Did she eat before that?"

Rajkumar listened to what the person on the other end had to say. The pleasant look on his face told enough of his feelings.

"That's wonderful." he went on, nodding, "Tell her that I will be home soon."

Another pause. Then, a chuckle.

"Okay, I will. Thank you, Aunty. Tell her that I love her and I am happy that she is watching too." 

Rajkumar slid the phone into his pocket after confirming that Vaishali had terminated the call. That's right.

They had woken up this morning still in their clothes from the previous night and found Manmeet's parents on the doorsteps, their luggage full of packaged foodstuffs and Manmeet's baby clothes with them. It hadn't taken them long to book a flight after his vulnerable call, sharing the issues he and Manmeet were facing.

He felt very relieved that they were around with her even in his absence. The events of last night weighed heavily on his mind. They were all his thoughts were made up of even in a room full of people.

"Are you ready, doctor?"

He turned around to find Preeta in her white coat. Rajkumar wondered if he should have worn his.

"Should I have worn mine?"

"Nope. We don't want to scare them too much, do we?"

"No, we don't. How else would I get money to feed?" The latter was sarcastic, a jab at the medical exchange program. Apparently, someone had run off with a bag full of dollars, and the above discontinued the exchange altogether.

He did get an apology and a regular stipend for any work done, but that was beside the point, wasn't it?

Rajkumar was still pissed and wanted to vent.