Partners at the antenatal

The cab was stuck in traffic for a substantial amount of time. It was 2:40 pm when they got to the hospital. It was also raining cats and dogs. Fortunately, the driver offered to take them to the door with his umbrella. Rajkumar was grateful. He pressed some notes into his palm before they parted.

Both of them found the OB-GYN department and Rajkumar led Manmeet to sit on one of the long chairs there in the waiting room before he approached the front desk. The nurse manning it had her eyes glued to her phone screen, even when he wasn't light-footed. Something about the unprofessionalism irked him.

His staff could never even think of it.

Rajkumar beckoned to her.

"Excuse me, I and my partner are here for an antenatal checkup."

She scrutinized him under the weight of fake eyelashes, more like leashes. The distracting nature raised another demerit in his heart.

"With which doctor?" he heard her ask, accompanied by the sound of a mouse clicking.

"Dr. Neha Thakur." He had texted her while in traffic.

There was a moment of silence as she checked the scheduling and then looked up at him.

"Rajkumar Reddy and," she glanced over at the seating area, "Manmeet Chatterjee?"

"Yes."

The nurse handed him a familiar sheet, making a remark in passing as she did.

"Is she your wife?" She looked like she had seen something disgusting.

"Excuse me?" The frown on his face reflected the upset in his heart. What kind of a question was that and what was with that judgmental look? He had never been treated in such a manner. Her stare was deadpan, it made him uncomfortable. He didn't like being uncomfortable for any reason.

"You..."

"Rajkumar." Manmeet called out, interrupting him early-sentence. He turned to find her mouthing words at him.

Everything alright over there?

Yeah, he replied and gave her a quick smile before turning back to the nurse, the smile from earlier wiped off his face. She stared right back at him. Rajkumar gave her a deep look and turned around to approach Manmeet, sheet in hand.

She needed the space as he did too. Rajkumar had no desire to make a scene at a hospital, which was sacred ground to him.

Manmeet placed her bag on the other side so that he could sit. She watched him do so and turn his attention to the printed sheet, lips pursed. Unable to withstand her gaze, he looked up from it and to her. Rajkumar could guess what she was thinking.

"You heard her question?"

She nodded. "Yeah." she paused a bit, then continued, "You...seem to be upset."

"She was being judgmental, Manmeet."

"Mmmm. Anyone would be judgmental with this short-lived arrangement."

Rajkumar said nothing and handed her the sheet. Manmeet also quietly took it and set out to read. She knew that her words irked him, they got to him. She felt it was better that they did, unapologetic. No one said anything as Rajkumar had turned all of his attention to an incoming text from his mother while Manmeet read. Nirali texted that Choti hadn't returned home last night or this morning. Mahesh had called to inform her. She was worried, he could tell.

That didn't mean he didn't find it slightly off-putting. Choti finally had some alone time as the children were abroad for the holidays. Would Ammaji rather have her sit at home and cater to her loser husband instead of going out and having some fun by herself? She was an adult and didn't need to be hounded all the time.