What is in a past?

Content Warning: This passage contains explicit language, themes of manipulation, toxic relationships, infidelity, violence, self-harm, and mental distress. Reader discretion is advised.

"Are you sure this is everything?"

"Yes, sir."

"Goodness."

Prithvi was incredulous, and understandably so. He couldn't believe what he was seeing in his half-brother's investigation sheet. It was like seeing a fucking monster give birth.

It was too clean. Rajkumar's life for the past eleven years was too clean, too boring, too by the rules, it made him nauseous. He needed something to retch in right now. Sure, he dated a few girls here and there, never too long at tops, but if that was something dirty, Prithvi wasn't sure he deserved to even still be alive on the face of the earth. No wonder he was the favorite.

His brother should try a hand at running for the pope now. Who knew? Father might just spend a few dollars here and there to let him win. What a lucky bastard.

"Take this away and burn it." Something that served no purpose in ruining Rajkumar had no business in his office. "And call off the investigation. There is no need to pursue this matter anymore."

"Yes, sir." the guard respectfully took the folder off his desk and added somewhat hesitantly, "Sir, the private investigator asked whether he should look more into his relationship with his current girlfriend."

"Hmm?" Prithvi was angry now, "Didn't you just hear what I just said? I said there is no need to pursue this matter. Is that too much for you to handle?!"

"N-no, sir!" he shuddered at the boss' murderous tone.

"Get out of my sight."

Prithvi felt a headache coming on as he watched the man hurry out of his office and he relaxed in his chair. What a joke. How would Rajkumar having another woman outside prevent him from getting married to Manmeet Chatterjee since their father wanted it? The only thing that could stop this marriage was if the man in question refused to get married, and as much as Prithvi hated to admit it, the old man was too eccentric concerning his half-brother. In the rare case that he insisted on it, there would be no problem with Rajkumar having a few illegitimate children outside. Prithvi never thought he'd say it but he was living better than his peers in other families and his lifestyle was proof of Bhairav's tolerance towards this issue.

What could he say, Prithvi felt smug thinking this, but reincarnation into a household was talent. How could he let himself be blindsided by chasing Rajkumar's domestic affairs? If Manmeet Chatterjee meant that much to the old man, he could always make his half-brother's girl in London somehow disappear with as much as the flick of his wrist.

Dropping that little matter on Bhairav's desk would make the old man wonder if there was water in his brain, and Prithvi knew that day was not too far off-track from being abandoned.

Thinking of this made him thank his stars, and strengthen his resolve in his heart to kill that guard who just went out. The insidious bastard almost tricked him into being unlucky just now and messing up in front of his two nemeses under the guise of siblings. How could someone as narrow-minded as Prithvi, let him leave alive? No way, once he opened that stupid mouth of his, he should have been prepared to just leave his life behind.

Feeling a bit better at his decision, Prithvi turned to another guard and asked quite good-naturedly.

"Is that old vampire now awake?"

"S-sir?" the poor man was scared into saying anymore. The boss' gentle tone freaked a shit out of him. A few seconds ago, his gaze had been vicious, so what was this transition to sunny all of a sudden?