Party guests

"Raju, my man! Can't believe you made it!"

Veer happily ushered him in only to fidget when Manmeet edged close. It was amusing how uneasy he looked beside her raised belly, like he didn't trust his legs not to give up and in.

Rajkumar thought that he was really useless, passing him a look that conveyed those thoughts, while his arm securely held Manmeet's, guiding her into the living room. She felt sweet and anchored all at once, so much so that she didn't even bother to scold their friend. Veer, at this point, had run over to Trisha's side, relieved to be as far away from an expectant mother, the belly's size scaring him half to death.

Trisha for her part, looked like she wanted to open his head and see the stuffing inside.

Her fiance was so useless. Tsk.

Everyone in the living room turned to Rajkumar and Manmeet as soon as they stepped in. High school had been so long ago, and they were still in shock that these two were together. Maheer, the hostess, came forward to hug Manmeet. They had been on the scholastic team together, pure-blooded enemies that vied for captaincy every three weeks.

"Manmeet, it's so nice to see you!"

"I feel the same way, Maheer. It's been so long!"

"Hasn't it, really?"

"It has. I thought you were dead. Hahaha!" Manmeet said this and laughed, hand covering her mouth. But the other woman was not to be outdone.

"Oh dear, not at all. You are older than me, so I am afraid not. Hohoho!"

"Maheer, you useless thing. You were always such a clown!"

"Haha! Manmeet, you cunning witch. You still have such unique thoughts, I see!"

Everyone edged back a bit from this invisible war zone, their IQ was still online. Only Rajkumar thought it was quite interesting watching them go at each other. These two obviously couldn't stand each other, yet Manmeet had him literally rush-drop her sister at the airport just to make it here in time.

Women. They could be so passionate and difficult all at once. His lover was just like that too. Rajkumar's gaze fell on Manmeet, who was still exchanging hidden knives with Maheer, her all into it.

Ah. His lover was so amazing.

So relentless and yet so tender, her duality the thing that kept him reeled in. It kept him here. It held his love and set it afire.

"Rajkumar, stop staring at Manmeet too hard! We, the single ones, are so pitiful!"

Someone had yelled out loud from a corner of the room, eliciting laughter from everyone. Rajkumar couldn't tell who it was but the person hadn't necessarily done a bad thing. Manmeet had stopped bickering with Maheer and instead, had her beautiful eyes on him, cheeks flushed. Her bashful appearance caused the others to hoot accompanied by clapping, which increased in intensity as Rajkumar stepped into her circle and hugged her, in front of everyone.

Manmeet reciprocated the hug amidst cheers, happy and somewhat shocked at his bold gesture. She couldn't meet his eyes when they separated, and it amused the hell out of Rajkumar. He didn't lower his voice on purpose, so everyone in the room heard him.

"What's with the coyness, Madam Chatterjee? I never see it when we are at home and you are doing your best to shamelessly seduce me."

Her mouth opened wide in shock.

"Rajkumar!" Her right hand moved to hit his chest. He caught it and pressed a soft kiss on the inside before looking up to wink at her. Some of the ladies hurried to rescue Manmeet from his grasp because at the rate that the skin on her face was reddening, a coma didn't appear too far away. Manmeet's whole body felt as feverish as her heart, a sort of sickening sweetness force-fed and yet taken whole.