Friendly Support

Mumbai medical college hospital.

Choti was doing her best to calm down the panicked woman at the other end of the phone.

"You can't be stressing so much with the baby, Manmeet. Calm down, Rajkumar is in good hands, okay? He is receiving the best care." After a brief pause to listen, she continued, "Don't worry. I will keep you posted."

And then another.

"Yes, I am sure." she replied, sensing Manmeet's apprehension. "You don't need to come and work yourself out. I will keep you posted, Manmeet. Bye."

"Water?"

Choti had barely terminated the call when she heard someone call out from above her. She looked up to find the female doctor from earlier extending a glass of water.

"Yes, please. Thank you." she said before taking a sip, her eyes still trained on her.

"I am Preeta by the way, Rajkumar's colleague."

"Oh. I am Priyanka, his sister but you can call me Choti. Thank you once again for handling things here." She placed the glass on the chair beside hers. Her whole attention was on Preeta now. "You don't know what you have done for us. It's so much."

The other woman dismissed her comments with a wave of her hand.

"Please stop with all these thanks, Priyanka. I couldn't just let things be when I was the one who invited him to the conference. Besides, Rajkumar is more than just a colleague to me."

Choti wanted to decipher the expression on her face when her attention was taken by the mention of her name.

"Choti!"

It was Rishabh with Fateh behind him, walking at full speed from the other end of the hall. They had caught sight of her as soon as they walked in.

Preeta motioned to her at this time.

"I have to leave now, Priyanka. I and the director have to handle the public and press. Please take care of yourself too."

"Oh, yes. You too. Thank you once again."

"No problem."

She briefly nodded at Rishabh and Fateh, both of whom had already reached their position, before walking past them. Neither seemed to recognize her though, all their attention pinned on Choti who had stood up to match them. She was met with a barrage of questions.

"What happened to Rajkumar?" 

"How is he? Is he conscious? Has he eaten yet?"

"Guys, please calm down. You are stressing me out." Choti had to interrupt their question session, a weary expression on her face. "What is this yaar, twenty questions? Let me at least talk first, guys."

Rishabh nodded with Fateh echoing the sentiment. "Sorry, Choti. We didn't mean to tap you out. Please go ahead in your time."

"Thank you. First," she began, "Rajkumar is fine. He is just asleep now. Don't worry, he is in safe hands here."

"That's such good news. What happened to him by the way? We were so shocked seeing him fall on TV. Was it a heart attack?" It was the taller man who spoke, his right hand brushing the blue leather fabric of his jacket. It was cold out.

Choti shook her head.

"No, thank goodness. The doctors said something about induced shock."

"Induced shock?" Fateh's voice conveyed his surprise. "That's odd. Are you sure it wasn't because of poor ventilation?"