Positive reception in earnest

On many levels, Bhairav had a few pet peeves that he couldn't take from anyone, even if that was his wife of many years, Nirali. For instance, he felt irritated when a person kept pacing back and forward in front of him. All the sensitivity developed from years of growing up in rural poverty made him stubbornly denote it as a sign of disrespect, like the other person couldn't be bothered to acknowledge his presence. And it grew worse as he prospered. Especially as he prospered. So everybody that lived with him, including his wife and children, knew what not to do.

But now, he could care less that Nirali was doing the exact same thing. Hell, he was as excited as her, so much that he almost fell off his chair in the study when he got a call from Manmeet's father that she was carrying Rajkumar's child. Raju was going to be a father!

He just wanted the world to know. But not yet. Choti had to know first, and then the designated main character, Raju, after. Bhairav hadn't even felt this excited even when Kevina was born, which also went for Nirali. Though they had been grandparents before, in their hearts, Rajkumar becoming a father was a whole matter entirely!

The husband and wife were waiting for their eldest to arrive so they could discuss it, and Bhairav, in particular, felt that Nirali's continuous pacing was inducing far more agitation into him than usual. He wanted her to sit and spare him the stress.

"Nirali," he pointed to the empty space on the sofa beside him, "can you please sit down? You are preventing me from thinking straight with all that noise you are making."

She turned to him, impatience written all over her face. This old man needed a scolding.

"You are here thinking about noise when your son is now a father. What misplaced priorities you have, Bhairav!"

"Wait, what?! Raj is a father!"

Both of them looked towards the foot of the stairs where their daughter stood frozen, shock written all over her face. They hadn't expected her to come in through the back door, which she had for some reason.

Bhairav stood upon seeing his daughter looking so dirty and unkempt. Even Nirali couldn't help sporting a frown.

"Why do you look like this, Choti?" he moved towards her in concern, "What happened to you?"

Choti waved off his hand.

"Dadda, there is nothing to worry about. This," she pointed at herself, "is nothing compared to what I just heard from mumma's mouth! Is it true what she said, that Raj is going to be a daddy?"

"You sure, honey?"

Choti couldn't help rolling her eyes. Dadda could be such a worrywart, even more than mumma. But should she tell him that she had to dump her car because it kept acting up on the way home, and that she had to walk to the bus stop and wait for a bus like all those peasants because her phone battery decided to just die out? Hell no! He'd just lose his marbles. And right now, Choti needed him to keep it together, enough to confirm the wonderful news she'd just heard, wonderful enough to wash the shame of today!

"Dadda, I'm fine, okay? So," she looked at him and then, Nirali, "is Raj going to be a father? Tell me mumma!"

Nirali couldn't resist blurting out a response despite Bhairav's disapproving gaze. His daughter had already assured him that she was alright. What's with all the fuss?!

"He is, Choti! Here," she waved her phone, "come see the results."

Choti rushed over to her side and grabbed the phone with both hands. On the screen was a snapshot of a pregnancy test results with Manmeet Chatterjee's name on it, with the words 'pregnancy confirmed' written in bold. Choti couldn't be less familiar with the page as it had been a similar one she had shown Mahesh back then with Kevina. Her brother was just out of this world!