Boss with the good hair

"Madam, I love your new hairstyle!"

Manmeet Chatterjee finally stopped flipping the file pages in her hands and looked at the most annoying staff on her payroll.
"Shut up, Mishra ji. What nonsense is this?" she waved the file, "Why are the land inspection documents that I requested missing?"

"I-I forgot..."

"You forgot to get them from the municipal office, right?!" she angrily flung the pages onto her desk, "Do I look like an idiot to you?" she directed her question to all the staff lined in her office, cowering in their boss' anger, "Talk to me!"

"N-no madam..."

"So why am I wasting my money and time paying a bunch of incompetent trash?!"

"You mean our money, partner?"

A man of tall build walked into the office and sat on the sofa. Vicky Arora. He was the founder of Arora Architecture and Manmeet's boss. And friend.

The staff looked relieved. Obviously, they were glad to face Boss Arora rather than Madam Chatterjee. He was less intense, in a lot of ways.

Vicky motioned to Mishra, who still looked like his soul had left his body.

"What did you do now, Mishra ji?" his tone was a mix of stern and resignation. God knows that he wouldn't have employed this man if not for the fact that his soon-to-be ex-wife insisted on it, as his wife worked as a help for her mother. Vicky was conflicted about the 10% shares he would have to part with, but it was good enough to finally get the bitch and her dreaded relatives out of his life permanently.

Mishra spoke up, a pleading look in his eyes.

"Boss, I-I just forgot the land documents...."

Manmeet couldn't contain her anger as she slammed the table, cutting him short and sending everyone jumping.

"Just?!" she turned to Vicky, "What a bunch of incompetent trash we have eating our free staff lunches but can't even do anything right! Do you think I can design a plan without the official land documents?!"

Mishra and the remaining staff were too scared to even make a sound. Vicky waved them out on seeing their wooden expressions.

"All of you should find a way to get those documents before lunch or you can kiss this job goodbye. Is that clear?"

"Y-Yes, sir. We will do that right away!"

They bowed and hurried out, glad to be anywhere except close to Madam Chatterjee.

Vicky turned to his seething partner.

"Calm down, Manmeet. Look, they would bring those documents to your desk soon. You just need to take it easy."

"Take it easy, Vicky?" she rubbed her forehead in frustration, "I feel like the more time I spend with the staff, the more I realize how stupid universities have become. What was the name of that intern we hired last month with the Master's degree in Architecture?"

"The one who said he worked in France for a year and was your biggest fan?"

"Yes, that one. With the Pokemon name."

"I think his name was Piku?"

"Yes, that's him." she reached for her water bottle, "Can you imagine that he didn't know what a coping was?"

"What?" Vicky's voice revealed his disbelief, "Isn't that what they teach in the second year of architecture school?"

"I felt the same way, Vicky. It wasn't even a minute before I fired him and told him to go back to school if he was serious about this industry." she relaxed in her chair and closed her eyes, hands over them, "Human resources need to step up."

Vicky nodded, visibly concerned.

"I would need to have a chat with them." he checked his watch before standing up, " I need to go. I have a lunch meeting with Mr. Reddy before heading to see Deepika at my parents."

Manmeet opened her eyes and looked at her boss and friend since her college days.

"How are things holding up?"

"Sara is fighting for her custody and she might win." his eyes dimmed, "Her new boyfriend's dad is a judge in the civil court."

"Vicky," she stood up and walked over to him, placing her hands firmly on his shoulders, "just know that I and my family are solidly behind you. We won't allow that cheater take Deepika away."

He laughed at her serious tone, easing the rigid atmosphere, and causing her to laugh.

"What is the deal with you and your weird pep talks?"

"I tried, Vicky." she chuckled and went back to her seat, "I am so tired."

"Nice hair, by the way."

"Oh this?" she smoothed her now shoulder-length tresses, "Longer hair was getting harder to manage. So many detanglers wasted."

"Well, I know nothing of women and their problems." he put on his sunglasses, "I was the one fighting with Sara to get her to take a damn bath. Tch."

She laughed at Vicky's resentful tone as he walked out the door.

"Extend my greetings to uncle, aunt, and Deepika!" she called out after his retreating figure.

He waved in response before stepping into the elevator.

Hardly a second had passed and Manmeet didn't have enough time to admire her new look - since she was still waiting for the land documents from Mishra - in her compact mirror when her phone rang. She checked the caller ID and accepted the call on hands-free upon seeing it was from her mother.

"Hi, mama! How was your trip back to Shimla? I hope the flight went well?"

Vaishali's dissatisfied voice rose from the other side of her iPhone.

"Your father is causing trouble, still scolding Gunjan for coming home late and almost missing our flight. Talk to him."

"Mama..."

"What, Chitti? It's bad enough that you are rigid just like him. Do you want your sister to be like that too? That man is wrecking my daughters for me."

Manmeet laughed as she picked up the remote to control the AC temperature.

"Mama, you are making a fuss. And besides," she swiveled in her chair, "I met someone myself."

"What, Chitti?! Who was it?" Vaishali's voice was laced with excitement, eliciting more laughter from Manmeet. A wicked glint appeared in her eyes.

"I won't tell you, mama."

"Manmeet Chatterjee!"

"No, mama. I won't tell you."

Vaishali's voice eased at this point.

"What do you want, Chitti?"

Manmeet tapped her desk with her pen, trying to come up with a befitting reply. And then it hit her.

"I want you and Papa to stop arranging for me to meet with all your friends' sons. It's wearing me out."

"Okay, okay. So tell me, who it was that you met that is making you excited? Tell me, Chitti!"

"Okay, here it goes." there was a pause, "Rajkumar Reddy."

Manmeet Chatterjee quickly cut the call to avoid her mother's excited screams and chuckled. She was sure that would satisfy her. Look at how excited she was.

It was just that...Manmeet couldn't quite place what she was feeling. Rajkumar Reddy made her feel good. He wasn't like all the other immature, irritable men that pursued her. He was mature, realistic, and had an established career. And it was a buffer that they both held a now fizzled-out candle for each other over the years. He was husband material. Unfortunately, the husband material had no plans to stay in India, a path that was opposite of hers.

Manmeet Chatterjee could only sigh.

It's a pity, really.