Ties that bind

"Welcome home, sir!"
"Thank you, Ritesh. Look at you!" he laughed, patting him on the shoulder, "Goodness, last time we saw each other you were what, my waist level?"

"I was a bit taller than that, sir!"

"Haha, you cheeky bastard!" he handed him his luggage, "Take this to my room, will you?"

"Yes, sir!"

Ritesh took the luggage and made for the stairs when Rajkumar's voice stopped him.

"Did they deliver my new pair of glasses yet?"

"Yes, sir. Madam has it."

"Thank goodness. I will get it from her later. Move along."

Rajkumar sunk into the sofa and shut his eyes. He was so tired. However, a pair of excited voices roused him.

"Uncle!" He was now looking at a boy and girl in mock overalls. They were sweaty and it was obvious that they had been playing outside. They looked similar in age. For a moment, Rajkumar was confused about who they were until he remembered his conversation with Ammaji over the phone the previous night.

Mahesh Jnr. Sharma, eight. Shruti Sharma, seven. Choti's stepchildren.

A gentle smile appeared on his face at this thought and he opened his arms to embrace them.

"Come, come. Uncle is excited to finally meet you." He remembered that they were with their mother's family when he returned for Choti's wedding.

They were hesitant and quite shy to approach him. It seemed it just kicked in that he was not related by blood since he was their stepmother's brother. But they had already done enough for Rajkumar to give his sister a silent thumbs up in his heart. As all these crossed his mind, his voice was still gentle.

"Don't you want to see Uncle?"

"Y-yes."

They rushed into his arms and he raised them to sit on his legs, ignoring the filth of their play clothes.

"Your mom told me you were on a school break. I hope you are both doing well at school and not making trouble."

They shyly nodded. "Y-yes, uncle."

"Are you having fun?" he lowered his voice to a whisper, "Did you like the toys that I sent to you?"

"Yes, uncle!" their tone was more excited now.

Rajkumar laughed and hugged them.

"Both of you are such wonderful, cute children."

"What about me, Uncle?"

They looked up to find a five-year-old girl, running down the stairs towards them.

"Kevina, don't hurt yourself. Slow down. Uncle is still waiting for you."

At his words, she stopped running, but her steps were still fast-paced. When she finally got to where Rajkumar sat with her half-siblings in his arms, she pinched Mahesh's arm and he groaned in pain.

"You didn't tell me that Uncle was here, Mahesh!"

Shruti spoke up on seeing her brother holding back tears. "We didn't know till now, Kevi. Mahesh is not at fault."

At this point, Rajkumar had a frown on his face and he scolded Kevina.

"Kevina, how do you hurt your elder brother? Your mother would hear of this."

The girl started sobbing, anxious, and she grabbed Mahesh's arm and rubbed the spot that she pinched.

"I-I am sorry, Mahesh. I-I thought you didn't tell me Uncle was here on purpose. That was why I pinched you." she whispered, sobbing, "S-sorry."